1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maximum Computer Temperature

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightnb, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

Don't know what forum this belongs in... hardware was my best guess. (feel free to move)

What is the maximum temperature (of a space) that a desktop computer can be operated in without risk of damage to components?

For sake of argument, lets say 145 degrees Farenhiet; the temperature of a closed car trunk in the summer in South Florida.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would avoid running a computer in above room temperature conditions. remember every component in your computer creates and therefore the warmer the environment you run it in, the higher the operating temperature of the computer becomes. For example Toshiba says I should run my laptop in temperatures only between 5 and 35 degrees celsius and between 20 to 80 % non condensing humidity. Adaquete cooling via fans is always important no matter what temperature you run your computer in.

3. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

What about computer systems in police cars: are they specially designed for high temperatures?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    there usually laptops, and cops love their airconditioning. i doubt the temperature exceeds 35 degrees celsius - it can be higher during non-use.

5. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

Is it ok to store it at 115, and only use it when the AC is on? It will be pretty cool when im driving it, its just the storage I'm worried about.
    I can modify the vehicle so that there is
    AC in the trunk.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Thinking of making a car MP3 PC eh?? It should be OK as long as it isn't powered up and the car is idle and there are other colling solutions you can try other than blowing air across the processor. The only other consideration you might want to think about is humidity and condensation. An ambient air temp of 115 F isn't going to do your PC any good because the CPU will have to hit 115 F before any cooling would take effect at all..Buy an in-dash MP3 player.

7. Gary R

Gary R

My desktop computer regularly ran up a case temp of 97 - 99F and CPU of 140 - 145F during the summer with room temp of 95 - 98F. Rear of case is about 18" from wall, right side about the same, and left has no obstructions of any kind.
    I would turn the comp off if CPU got above 130F until room cooled down later on.
    Way utilities charge nowadays, I didn't use the airconditioner much. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119162

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice