1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maximum USB cable distance for Printing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by officework13, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. officework13

officework13 Thread Starter

Does anyone know the maximum length that you can run USB cables for printing.

the issue.
    we have a network in our office of 4. From time to time we need to print color pages for reports. We have a HP 1500L color laser printer which was given to us (we did not buy it as it would not have been my choice). As this printer does not have a network connection and since i do not have Print server (which is $300 for this printer and so i am not about to buy b/c the new version of this printer can be purchased for $400 and is networked),i have decided to install the printer on my computer and print from my computer. this has worked ok, but now i am being asked by co-workers, can you print this off for me, can you print that off for me. This was ok, but now is getting old. i have now set it up to share the printer and so others can print through my computer onto the printer.

This seems to work ok, however, now i have this big, noisy (it sounds like a tank) printer on my desk that i would like to get rid of by putting it into the copier room. Therfore, i thought, why dont i purchase a few USB extension cables attach them together and run them to the next office.

i think i will require 2-10 foot cables that would run a total of 20 feet.

not sure if it matters or not but the items printed are usually 1-2 page documents and are not full of graphics but moreso are of the letterhead/logo nature.

my question. can this be done or will i have problems with data transmission.

2. onsite

onsite

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. onsite

onsite

obviously you did not read their post all the way through. to sum it up , that is exactly what they are doing. The printer sounds like a tank when it prints AND since everyone is continually printing through the printer. They would like to move the printer into the copy room 20 ft away.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're right I missed that part.

Depending on the cost of the cables and/or extender you could go for a router with built-in print server can by bought for under $40.

6. onsite

onsite

Is the print server in the router a usb or parallel ?
    the only bad part of that would be they would be intro ducing another instance of NAT, unless the router can be put in bridge mode.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can get them in USB or Parallel, disabling DHCP is fairly easy on most routers but the only thing I'm sure on is how the printer would work without the router doing the addressing.

8. onsite

onsite

I did not say DHCP, I SAID NAT ( which can only be disabled if the router can be put into bridge mode)

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I don't think it'd be an issue in this scenerio. And the one I'm thinking of, EDIMAX BR-6104KP, can be used a bridge I believe.

10. onsite

onsite

Actually Tripple6, that might not be a bad idea, if it works. It seems to be inexpensive
    Has all the functionality you described
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=251684
    ( for refernce only)

With the print server built in they could move the printer anywhere they can drop a cat 5 cable, might even be a cat 5 socket already in the copier room. Plus the added benefit of not having the pc "on" that the printer was connected to.

11. officework13

officework13 Thread Starter

That looks great and all however a few downsides. i have been informed that using a print server other than the HP Jetdirect may not work, secondly i live in canada and the $49.99 print server mentioned is not available to canada. i like the 1st post and i shall try to hook up a few USB extension cables and leave the printer in my office and see how it makes out for a while. if it works then i shall run the cables through the wall and create a noise free environment and additional deskspace.

thanks for all the replies.

12. onsite

onsite

sounds like a plan, I think 20 ft may work, they make 20 ft cables
    http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Ft-USB-2-0-E...ryZ42321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one NOTE this cable is an extention cable type A male to type A female. For the printer you are probably using a usb A to B. Soyou would plug the extension cable into the pc and your usb printer cable into the extension,,,, so that would give you more than 20 ft,,, may be toooo long. search ebay or the net for a 20 ft A/B cable. Ebay has really good prices even with shipping.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice