1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor 300 GB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cenarias, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cenarias

Cenarias Guest Thread Starter

I just bought a Maxtor 300 gig hard drive, but when I insert my bootable Windows XP (no SP2) CD, it only recongized 140 gigs when I tried to create a partition.

My motherboard is ASUS P5LD2, and my BIOS is up to date.
    How can I use all the hard dive space when I create partition during Windows installtion?

Thank you in advance.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Windows XP prior to SP1 will not rcognize drives larger than 137Gb, I dont know why it sees only 140 GB, but you should be allowed to set up a second partition in the unused space after installing Xp by going into Comp Management - disk management. If the rest of the drive is recognized it will be unallocated space that you can partition and format for use. Is there a special reason why you may want it all 300 Gb as a single partition?

3. Cenarias

Cenarias Guest Thread Starter

I want to create the partitions when I am using the Windows setup. Becuase right now it only shows an "unknown partition" of 137GB, and this included part of my data parition, which I want to keep.
    Will my full HD be recongized when I use a bootable Windows XP SP2 CD?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I believe it will be. I am not saying this from experience that largest drive I have ever installed as a single partition was a 120Gb drive. the 137Gb is the pre SP1 limitation.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is the full size of the drive recognized during your boot sequence IDE detection?

6. saikee

saikee

No problem on 300Gb Maxtor. Price has becomes affordable now.

Got 4 of them. XP has been filling one up over 240Gb. All it take is the SP2.

One is used for Linux and has 60 partitions with 58 operating systems inside.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Slipstream SP2 onto your XP-CD with AutoStreamer. It's pretty painless, and you'll have an install CD with full disk compatibility. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice