1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor 3000LS External Hard Drive - Using International Power Sources

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Exile, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Exile

Exile Thread Starter

Hi There,

My first post here and I promise I'll stick around and try help out others rather than simply disappear if and when someone's helped me out :D

My question concerns a Maxtor 3000LS 40GB external hard drive I bought recently. Naiively I assumed that it would get all its power from the USB cable and therefore I'd be able to use it in both the UK (where I am based now) and the US (where I will be based soon). However, when it arrived I realised that it needed an external power source. Serves me right for not reading the spec. properly I guess :rolleyes:

Anyway, the power pack that it comes with splits in two i.e. the big chunky bit with the wire leading to the hard drive and the wire that leads to the mains. The hard drive came with two mains leads: A UK compatible lead and a mainland European lead. Now my query is, assuming that I could get hold of a US compatible mains lead, would plugging it into the chunky bit:

a) Not have enough power to do anything?
    b) Frazzle the components?
    c) Cause a rift in the space-time continuum?

I confess, I didn't pay much attention in physics class and so am a bit baffled by volts, amps, ohms, current and other flavours of electrickery so if anyone - preferably someone with knowledge of the hardware - could give any advice, then I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks,

Andy

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Look at the specs on the power supply. It may be a universal supply, many of them are nowadays. I just checked a camera and a USB 2.0 hard disk supply, both state 100V to 240V 50/60Hz, so they'll run either in Europe or the US.

3. Exile

Exile Thread Starter

You're right, this says the same. That's great! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a suitable power cable relatively cheaply.

Cheers,

Andy

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to find one on-line for a few bucks at most. I see cords all the time, but I don't go to Europe much, so I haven't needed one. :) You can also find little adapters to convert the European plugs to US style plugs, and accomplish the same goal. They're pretty commonly available.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!