1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor 3200 external hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adriennebeth, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adriennebeth

adriennebeth Thread Starter

I found some advice from last year regarding how to open the case. I was able to do so and discovered a Seagate 7200 HD which is what someone else stated then as well.

My problem which baffles me is that the unit is no longer recognized. I've tried all the trouble-shooting to no avail.

The unit makes a little noise like it's trying to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was at a loss when I opened the case. I was hoping to find something that had come loose inside the metal box, but all was secure. I did not open the drive itself as I wouldn't know how or what to do with it.

2. Impera

Impera

Hi
    The drive might be faulty at all.
    Does your computer recognizes de HD on the BIOS? Does it shows the brand and/or model of the drive?
    IF it does, but then windows does not recognizes it, try going into the Seagate site and download the drive utilities. You can try restoring the MBR (Master Boot Record) and see if any of the utilities can help to bring the drive alive.

IF the drive is not recognized on the BIOS, drive do might be dead.

Hope it helps !

3. adriennebeth

Hi,
    Thanks for such a quick post.
    The drive letter does not appear. How do I restore the MBR?
    I am working on a compaq laptop.

4. Impera

Impera

You can check on the Drive's Brand site for disk utilities. From there, the utilities can restore the MBR and perform some other tests on the drive.
    Does the drive is recognized on the BIOS or just not accessible from windows?

5. adriennebeth

How can I determine if it is recognized on the BIOS?

I already went to the brand website but nothing helped there.

6. Impera

Impera

When you are turning on your machine, go to your computer BIOS, i think it can be accessed by pressing F2 or F10, something like it.
    From there, check on the list of your hard drives if the external drive is listed.
    Also, ensure that, if available, that your machine can boot from USB devices. Since the drive is external, it can be that the computer simply does not recognizes the USB device.

Also, try this:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice