1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor 6 external Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beachwolf13, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beachwolf13

Beachwolf13 Thread Starter

I have been using a Maxtor 6 external hard drive for a bout a year now without any problems at all. Yesterday all of a sudden it isn't being recognized my my computer. It shows the original internal drive c but not the external drive d. Any ideas what could be causing this problem
    Any help will be very gratefully appreciated
    Beachwolf132

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

First, try it on another computer. If it works there or not will tell you whether you have a computer problem or a drive problem. You need to know that before you know which direction your further diagnostics should take.

3. Beachwolf13

Beachwolf13 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Alex. I have a friend who is an IT genius and he said the same thing about half an hour ago when I called him. He's coming in to check it out,said it also may be the usb cable too
    Beachwolf13

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If it turns out to be the drive, there are two possibilities, the drive or the enclosure. There is a hard disk inside the enclosure just like the ones used in desktop and laptop computers. Desktop or laptop drives are different physical sizes. You can test the drive by removing it from the enclosure and connecting it internally to your desktop computer.

Just got a service call, gotta' go. Your IT guy will know these things, anyway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice