1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor CD Burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hansmax, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

I have an older Maxtor CD burner (internal) that doesn't want to open up. The drive is recognized by Windows, and the light is on in front of the drive, but the tray will not come out, neither when I press the button on the drive, nor when I right-click and hit eject from within Windows. I know it's probably just toast, but does anyone know of any last ditch efforts to solve this problem before I have to pull and replace it? I would appreciate any input.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Maybe the tray is just stuck. You can use a straightened paperclip to push it out - there should a small hole in the front of the drive, just push the paperclip until the tray slides out.

3. pronute

pronute

I had this problem with one of my burners the tray was not stuck it was the drive deck getting stuck on the pinch hub, which would not let the drive deck drop down out of the way of the tray. I dismantled the drive and applied car wax to the pinch hub and that cured it.

4. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

Thanks for the input so far. I haven't had time to try them but I will soon.

5. hansmax

hansmax Thread Starter

The paperclip did the trick. Thanks a lot, Triple6. Thanks also pronute. I will try to remember your solution also.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!