1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor Diamond 10 80 GB Sata Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arctic2032, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arctic2032

Arctic2032 Thread Starter

I installed windows xp on this and it was fine. However, I can't get windows to fully recognize this hard drive. It always puts it in the 2nd channel master in the bios start up no matter how I plug in the cables (or don't plug some in) and it calls it a removeable drive with the icon on the taskbar to safely remove this hardware. Also, it freezes after I go into windowsupdate.com and/or a couple minutes or so after loaded into windows. I've looked through the manual and it says it will take sata up to 3 gb/s (which this is) and I set the jumper to limit it to 1.5 since that's all the cable is good for.

2. bigbear

bigbear

Make sure the sata lead is plugged into the first sata port eg 0/1 then it will be seen as the master sata
    Jumper the drive to 300mbps, the cable should still work ok

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well be careful here it may not boot that way bigbear. The bios has to call for this drive as the boot drive and that sata number needs to be in the boot order. XP can get really strange with these situations.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Not to sure about you answer there Rich.
    Sata ports are numbered normally from 0 to ?.
    I always use the the first port as boot drive, have never had any problems

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes sure you would choose that but I have a few boards that just moved it to another sata drive like the pc I am on and it defies me to change that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/561844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice