1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor DiamondMax 11 & K8N Diamond

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Metaphase, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metaphase

Metaphase Thread Starter

Hi all.

I have recently purchased 2 new Maxtor DiamondMax 11 500Gb SATA II Hard Drives. After installing them into my system I noticed that I was unable to install XP. The installation would freeze before getting to the partitioning section of the install process. Fortunately I had XP installed on another hard drive so I quickly plugged that drive in and booted from that. After booting into Windows the system detected both the new drives and installed the relevant drivers for them. I then proceeded to go into Disk Management to partition them. Much to my dissmay, I am unable too. Ever time I go to initialize the disks the Disk Management Applet just freezes. I have tried running both drives on both SATA Controllers but to no evail. Same problem both times. :( I have tried running the drives in SATA I mode but still have the same problem.

Any advice on this matter would be appriciated.

2. redbeardsghost

redbeardsghost

Are these new or used drives? If used, or even if new, have you checked them for bad sectors?

3. Metaphase

Metaphase Thread Starter

These are both brand new drives. At the moment they are both unpartitioned as I am unable to partition them. I have downloaded Maxtor MaxBlast 4 as mentioned in another post and will give it a try tonight.

4. norton850

norton850

DiamondMax 11 drives and nForce4 MBs sometimes have problems. Maxtor released a firmware update that is supposed to deal with this problem, but from what I've read it doesn't always fix things. If you continue without success, contact their tech support.

5. Metaphase

Metaphase Thread Starter

I have contacted Maxtor and have opened a support ticket. Whilst waiting for an answer, I decided to contact my reseller to see if he had any ideas. He suggested updating the firmware and supplied me with the latest one he had. Unfortunately, the firmware he supplied me with was the same version as the one that is already on the drives.

I received a reply from Maxtor today. They too have suggested on updating the firmware and have email me their latest version. I will try it out tonight and let you know how I get on. It just goes to show that companies such as Maxtor will comprimise product functionality and reliability just so that they can be the first to get a certain type of product out to the masses. :( (n) Whatever happened to Quality Control and Testing?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Did you try the Maxtor provided software to partition the drives before attempting to load windows on them? Sometimes this works well when having problems setting them up with the windows software. You can download Powermax directly from the maxtor website if you didnt get the disc with the drives.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

8. Metaphase

Metaphase Thread Starter

Yes. I tried using PowerMax to diagnose the problems with the drives but it would not start due to failing to detect the hard drives in the system. I was unable to test the drives. I also used MaxBlast 4 to try and partition the drives. It would throw up an error in a DOS environment and not partition the drives. When using the Windows version of MaxBlast 4, it would say it had partitioned the drives ok but it hadn't.

I am about to try out the new firmware I got from Maxtor. I will let you know how I get on.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

yes please do what I have read says the problem is resolved.

10. Metaphase

Metaphase Thread Starter

Hi all.

Just to let you know that the updated firmware done the trick. Drives are now working and running fine. Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Pheww good news!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice