1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by depawl, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

I recently installed a new Maxtor 6E040L0 40 Gig hard drive to replace a Western Digital drive that failed. Nothing else has changed. Now when the system boots up, there is about a minute pause after the BIOS screen and before Windows starts to load. This did not happen with the WD drive. I don't believe the Maxtor drive to be defective because otherwise it works fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on and how to correct it? Maxtor tech support was of no help.
    Thanks.

2. Swiper

Swiper

You verify jumper setting to be correct for the set up you have ??
    master or CS on its own 80pin IDE cable ??

is it detected in POST fast or takes some time ??

3. depawl

depawl Thread Starter

Yes jumper settings and cabling are correct.
    It is recognized in POST quickly, it's just after that, before the windows splash screen appears that the pause occurs.

4. axis77

axis77

i once had a maxtor drive do that to me and it was also brand new,,,because of this and the fact that I had a batch of bad maxtor drives go out a couple of years ago...I use western digital and will never get a maxtor again...this is just my personal opinion.."you never get a second chance to make a first impression"

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Maxtors usually come Jumpered as CS. if it is on a ribbon cable with more than one drive connector I would suggest jumpering it to master if that is the order taht you want this drive to appear. I also believe that the drive you have has only a 2 meg buffer and will take a little more time to boot than one with an 8 meg buffer.

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Tell us what else is on that ribbon cable and where it is placed on the ribbon cable. Are you trying to use CS or Master?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A minute of pause time is an awful long time. You might want to reall time it with a watch to see if it really isnt more like 10 seconds. Which could be quite normal. I had a 6E060L0 that took 15 minutes to boot from. But once it was booted worked fine. It was a bad drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice