Maxtor external drive not recognized

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vbstein

My Maxtor drive is not being recognized. The device manager shows a yellow exclamation point under USB Mass Storage devices and a code 10. I checked for solutions and the result was a message stating that the best driver is already being used. I am using a Windows Vista 64-bit operating system. The drive had been working until recently.

I had a problem with my HP a6700f Pavillion booting to the operating system when this drive was connected to a USB port on startup. I was told to disconnect it at startup to solve this problem and it did solve the problem. Now I can't get the drive to be recognized by Windows. It did recognize the drive when connected after startup but only after a few attempts. The drive is lit so I believe there are no power issues. I tried connecting to both a USB Hub and directly to the USB connection on the computer with the same results. Please help. Thanks.

The only way you can solve this problem is to remove the drive from the caddy and hook it up as a slave.
If the drive works ok then you know its the caddy at fault.
If the drive is not recognised in bios/windows then the drive is at fault :eek:

If possible connect an external power adapter to the USB enclosure so power comes from there iso over the USB port. If that's already the case reseat the drive in the enclosure and try again. If no luck then try to access the disk in a different USB enclosure. If it's the same problem, download Maxtor disk diag from the net and test it while directly connected to the computer (not over USB).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online