1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor External Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JennaJill, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennaJill

JennaJill Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor External Hard drive....80GB Model 5000LE.
    A While back I had a "device error" and searched the web to try to solve it. I guess from what I remember it had something to do with a bad file and it took too long to open up the file in the drive and it timed out or something. Anyway....I defragmented the drive and ran scan disk...problem solved..some files were deleted....kind of upset but not a big deal. Well, it happened again. This time instead a a specific file I could not get into (all these were mp3's and music videos etc...) the main folder (Ex:Jenna's Music and Videos) It kept on timing out......there are over 4000 music files in there. About 40 GB's worth. I couldn't even open the main file. SOOOOO I ran scan disk....defragmented...only this time when I finished the whole folder is gone!! I right click on the drive and it still says the space is being used but I cannot find my music/video files??? I ran file search and everything but I don't know where they are???? HELP!! Are these lost for good? If so...something is taking up the space correct??? No clue what is going on. Thanks.
    Jenna :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/249992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice