1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor external hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dragonrain, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dragonrain

Dragonrain Thread Starter

Ahh I'm so mad! Please bear with me through all this because I really need help!

I'm working on my undergrad research project which involves taping birds with my digital camcorder. I've been working on it for like a month, and have been saving the videos in folders on my desktop. Earlier today, I took all the videos from the desktop and cut pasted them onto a new Maxtor 230 (I think it's 230, could be off) external harddrive - so everything was moved from the desktop to the external harddrive in order to free up space on the computer.

A few hours later, I had another set of videos, so I plugged the camra and the harddrive both in and was transfering the video from the camra directly to the harddrive. My sister and her baby went on the computer while I was waiting for the video to finish transfering, and I clearly told her not to let the baby touch the wires or the harddrive. Well next thing you know, my sister is telling me that the baby not only touched it, she pulled the USB cord thing out of the back of it, then my sister plugged it back it. Now I'm not sure if the video was still transfering at this time or if it was finished.

So I wanted to make sure everything was ok and see if the video went on the hard drive ok - but long story short, the external harddrive isn't working anymore. It still lights up when I plug it in - I checked all the connections and everything, plugged it into all the diffrent USB ports, plugged it into my laptop - no luck. It use to show up under my computer so I could just click on the drive and see whats on it, it doesn't do that anymore. Once when I plugged it in to the desktop it said 'found new hardware' but I didn't know what to do so I just restarted, and ever since then it doesn't do anything at all when I plug it into the desktop. When I plug it in my laptop, you hear the noise that my computer makes when you plug something in, but nothing else, no 'found new hardware' and it doesn't show up under my computer.

I'm going crazy here! If I can't figure out a way to get those videos back I have to completly start my project all over again, I'll have waisted an entire month, and pretty much my whole summer will be ruined. :rolleyes:

Is there anything I can do to either recover the video from the desktop it was originally on (but I cut pasted it off of) or does anyone have any ideas I can try with this harddrive thingey? I'd reallly really reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly appreciate any help!

Thanks

2. Dragonrain

Oh wait - ok so I just plugged it into my laptop again, it said "found new hardware" but then it said something but only for a second - it said something about the device malfunctioning or not being recognized.

EDIT TO ADD - Ok so I somehow opened this thing that shows all my USB ports and what's plugged into them...In the one I have the harddrive plugged into it says "USB Mass Storage Device" , then when I click on it knows its Maxtor 3200, but it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

Do you see the drive there when plugged in?

4. Dragonrain

No - I only see C: :(

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it's a normal drive, you may be able to remove it from the case and install it as a secondary in order to try to retieve your data. If it's a 3.5, you will need an adapter. Hopefully, it is the case electronics that have been damaged and not the drive itself.

6. Dragonrain

Is there a good chance that's the case or no? Because I honestly have no idea how to do any of that.

Are there any programs I can use to try to recover the videos from the desktop so I don't have to go through the trouble of dealing with taking the harddrive apart?

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm out of ideas on this if the drive is not seen from the Disk Management. It appears that it can't be accessed from Windows. Recovery software will only work if the drive is accessible in some way from the desktop.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try the drive on another computer? That will narrow it down to a drive or computer issue.

9. Dragonrain

I don't mean recovery software to get the videos off the external harddrive, I mean to get them off my desktop where I originally had them stored.

I had them all saved on the desktop of my computer in folders before I moved them to the external harddrive - but I cut and pasted them off the desktop and onto the external harddrive yesterday before all this happened.

So I'm wondering if I can somehow recover them from the desktop computer? Either by using some kind of program or by setting my computer back to a few days ago or something? I dunno - if not I guess I'll just start over tomorrow.

10. Dragonrain

Yeah I already said - I've tried it on the desktop computer I was originally using it with, as well as my laptop computer - and I am having the same problem with both computers.

11. JohnWill

I think it's time to take the physical drive out and connect it to the desktop secondary IDE channel for some data recovery.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some "deleted" files can be recovered, but I wouldn't count on it.

PCI File Recovery
    Tokiwa Data Recovery

13. Dragonrain

Ok, so after a heated 'debate' with my sister, I found out that it wasn't only unplugged, but also dropped :mad:

Does anyone have a site or anything that can help walk me through this? I don't even know how to open the external hard drive case - is there anyway to do it other then just breaking it open?

Then when I get it open, do I just install it into the desktop computer as if it's a normal hard drive? I've installed new hard drives before so I might be able to figure it out if that's all I have to do...but I don't know what secondary IDE channel is if that's somthing diffrent.

Do you honestly think I'll be able to get anything off of it even though it was unplugged and droped?

14. JohnWill

If it was dropped, the chances went way down for recovery.

15. Dragonrain

Yeah that's what I thought - still does anyone know how I open the case and stuff? I'm still willing to give it a try if there's even a small chance I can get anything off of it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586223

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice