1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor External HD 120 gb questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by feather2106, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. feather2106

feather2106 Thread Starter

Just bought a Maxtor External 120 gb hard drive. Hookup, installation, and my first backup of my C drive all went fine.

Now my question is...

Now that everything is backed up I want to start deleting files from my C drive ( I have a 40 gb internal with about 8 gb left on my HP 304w), and start accessing from the F drive (Maxtor external).

I having problems executing the restoring sequence.

What I want to do is be able to go to the F drive in "My Computer" and open any file that I have deleted from the C drive...

Am new to all this...

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!!!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not sure how you "backed up" to the external drive if you can't access your files. I use lots of USB drives, both here and at several clients, they simply appear as another hard disk in My Computer, and all normal disk operations function just as an internal disk.

Please explain more clearly how you backed up to the external drive.

3. feather2106

feather2106 Thread Starter

went step in the user's guide, after installation, Retrospect opened the one touch setup screen, I selected the c drive, then popped uo "Congragulations Now ready" and clicked the start now button, back up took a couple of hours

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

I don't understand your question.
    You want to boot up from your F:\ drive I understand.
    You need to tell your BIOS to boot from USB and enable the USB boot option.

The part I don't understand is you want to 'open any file you have deleted from the C:\ drive'.
    Are you trying to recover deleted files?
    You would need some software (I use Norton Utilites) to recover your deleted files.
    That is unless you haven't emptied your recycle bin then you can restore the files.

Or maybe you are deleting files on your C:\ drive and are making a copy for protection.

We know you want to get some files transfered from one drive to the other, but I'm not understanding why you would go to your F:\ drive to open up files on your C:\ drive.

Could you please give just a little more info to clarify?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

User's Guide? For what application? If this is a backup program that came with the drive, it may not be the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

With Windows 2000 or XP, there is no installation required for a USB hard disk, just plug it in. I'm still trying to understand the "configuration" step. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice