1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smithryan94, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithryan94

smithryan94 Thread Starter

I have a Maxtor hard drive (S/N L632X08G) that I am using as an external on my PC. It worked fine for about 8 months and then recently I purchased a MacBook and wanted to switch over my files. The first time I plugged it in via USB, it showed up and I imported my music collection of 80gb into iTunes but the files remained on the hard drive. I moved my setup into a different room and ever since then the hard drive will not show up. A few times I have gotten an error along the the lines of "Mac OSX cannot read disk blah blah" with the choices to Initialize and something else. But 9/10 times it won't show up in disk utility. I have tried to reconnect it to my PC but it doesn't show up there either. Help me please

2. MaidenFan

MaidenFan

Firstly, is this a boxed retail external hard drive, or just a standard 3.5" internal hard drive in an external caddy?

Secondly, we need to check that the hard drive it still being detected by Windows - it may be that the Mac has messed with the drive formatting (I've never heard or seen this happen but it may be possible).

With the drive plugged into your Windows PC and turned on, right-click on My Computer (or Computer if you're running Vista) and click on Manage. In the window that appears, click on "Disk Management" on the left-hand menu.

You should then (after a short wait) see a list of all storage devices attached to your system (CD drives, USB memory sticks etc). Look for an entry that matches the capacity of your external drive. If this isn't listed, then there may be a more serious problem.

Try connecting the drive to another PC (desktop or laptop).

3. smithryan94

Its a 3.5'' in an external caddy. It's not showing up Computer Management. Am I screwed?

4. MaidenFan

MaidenFan

Not quite yet, try the following:

1) Shut down your PC and remove the power cable
    2) Make sure the caddy is unplugged from both an external power source (if there is one) and the PC
    3) Carefully remove the hard drive from the caddy
    4) Make sure the hard drive is sitting on something hard and unmovable
    5) Open your PC case and plug your hard drive into the motherboard (you can use the cables that currently connect the CD-ROM drive temporarily)
    6) Plug the power cable back in and power on your PC

If the hard drive is detected within Windows, the problem is the external caddy. If it doesn't show up within My Computer, try going to Computer Management again. If neither of those show the drive, then it may well be a corrupt file system - in which case your data is almost certainly lost.

By the way, 80Gb of music? That's a hell of a lot of albums. What kind of encoding do you use? The reason why the music wasn't copied over to the Mac is more than likely because an option within iTunes needs to be activated for the data to be moved into the iTunes folder. I forget where exactly it is, but if you explore the menus it will be there somewhere. That is unless you wanted the music to stay on the drive.

5. lentil

lentil

6. smithryan94

stupid question. how do i get to the motherboard on my pc?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice