Maxtor Hard Drive not recognising

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Parsons123

Hey,

My friend gave me his Maxtor Basics 250gb Hard Drive (Part # 9NX2DG-500) to put some of the songs i have made on. I connected it to my pc and it doesn't recognise it at all, so i restarted and still the same thing happens. I'm not sure if it requires any drivers or if i have to edit anything in the BIOS.

Someone please advise me on what to do.

How have you connected the drive?
Is the drive PATA or SATA?
If PATA is the drive jumpered correctly?
Is the drive recognised in bios correctly?
I know its more questions than answers but we need to know this to give you and answer

Parsons123

It is an external hard drive and connected via USB. I use the USB ports all the time so i know they are working. How do i know if it is PATA or SATA? It isn't recognised in the BIOS from what i can see.

Thanks

Go to diskmanagement and see what it displays about the drive.
Go to start>run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter

Parsons123

It doesn't recognise the hard drive when i run diskmgmt.msc.
The guy said he's going to look to see if any drivers on a disk came with it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online