1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joe689, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joe689

Joe689 Thread Starter

I beleive I may have a bad hard drive but thought I would try everything before coming to that conclusion. It is a 45gig hard drive. It started when I was unable to delete files, I would delete them and then after restarting the drive, they would show up again. I tried to reformat under two operating systems. I need FAT32 so on the XP OS I used CompuApps Swissknife to attempt to format. It showed that the format was successful after completion however none of the files were gone. Next, I took it into a Windows 98 and tried FDisk. Fdisk couldn't get past "checking drive's integrity" It would stay at 0% forever. I wasn't even able to get a letter assignment for the drive on 98. Trying Swissknife on 98, accomplished the same thing on XP. Said it was completed but never got assigned letter and when drive was restarted the volume it said it had created was gone. I can only imagine the drive is done for. Any Ideas?

All bios's on both OS recognized the drive properly.

Thanks
    JOe

2. WCSHGS

WCSHGS

Your problem may be as follows;

FAT32 will support up to 32 gig. any size larger then 32 gig may cause issues.

Did you use the software that came with the drive??????

Run FDISK set the 1st partition to 20 gig, then set the 2nd partition to 25 this should work for your needs.......

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can indeed format drives larger then 32GB with FAT32, its just that XP doesn't like too.

Never used Swissknife. If you are using FDISK, make sure you delete all partitions. Option 4 or 5 displays the partitions on the drive. It best to boot off a boot disk and use FDISK, that way Windows can't interfer.

You can also use Maxtor's PowerMax diagnostics to test and do a low-level format of the drive. That should wipe the drive completely.

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=22

4. Joe689

Joe689 Thread Starter

Maxtor's software worked nice however both format options failed. The pass test also failed. I tried making two partitions with swissknife and the partition that it said was succesful in creating, was gone. How can i use fdisk to make 2 partitions? I am leaning toward a broken drive but that for your help.

THanks
    Joe

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This is totally incorrect. The only issue is that Windows 2000 or XP won't format a FAT32 volume larger than 32gigs, but they'll access a FAT32 volume of any size. There is no compatibility issue using large FAT32 volumes, I've done it for years.

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If pass test failed cash it in. You are wasting your time. Even if you manage to rescue it for a bit, the drive is destined to fail.

7. ~Candy~

:eek: I have a 160 and a 120 gig drive both FAT 32..........what should I do???? :D :D

See johnwill's reply above ;)

8. Joe689

Joe689 Thread Starter

Sell one to me. lol

-Joe

9. ~Candy~

You can probably buy either now for less than I paid ;)

I think I saw a 160 Maxtor somewhere for $59.99 after rebate.

10. Raven Writer

Raven Writer

My ten year old Maxtor died about six months ago. It made me quite sad because I liked that drive, it was really good to me ...despite it's incredibly small size of 2GB. My main hard drive is still kicking, though and it is also a fantastic 2GB in size. It is incredibly huge, I swear and it totally creams all of you and your 120GB drives. Don't get me started on my 8GB second drive. It is soooo huge.

*hates on her drives for being small*

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/295308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice