1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor Hard Drive wont Load!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brms22, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

hey i have a Maxtor personal storage 3200 and im having a bit of a problem...

i got it at christmas and until now it has been great!

i plug it in and connect it up using the usb cord and then..computer says theres a power surge on the hub port....
    i disconnect the HD and reset it and nothing happens.... not quick - play nothing!!!!
    the HD is turned on and working (hear it working) (light is on)
    im a bit unhappy becuase its basically brand new! :(

please help!!!!!!!!!

2. shadypac

shadypac

maybe a dumb question but i have to ask, did you try plugging it into a different usb port. Preferably one on a different contoller, for instance if your plugging it into ones on the front, try the back ones or the other way around.

3. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

yes i tried another port ... ive tried every port on my laptop but i will try all ports on my desktop now

4. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

i have the same problem with my USB turns on but doesnt load onto any computer

5. shadypac

shadypac

can u try a differnt cable? if you have one.... if not to be honest i doubt as if its a drive problem, i could be wrong though. Chances are if its not a usb issue which at first i thought it was, its likely to be an issue with the enclosure itself, not the drive inside. is it powered completely by usb or is there an external power adapter?

6. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

i have not had any sucess with the ports.. same problem in every port

7. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

there is a external power cable and a usb cord linking it to the computer

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage on the power supply (preferably while connected to the drive and the drive is powered up), or try another power supply with the same voltage and capacity.

Have you made any changes recently in the BIOS or any other USB-related settings? Any changes made in Device Manager or to the power settings of the USB ports?

9. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

i havent changed any settings it just says power surge on hub port ......
    i think i should take it down to a local pc store to see what they can do with it

10. shadypac

shadypac

Worst case scenario, like i said i think the enclosure it probably just bad. Id advise taking it down somewhere or trying to open it up yourself in your comfortable, and test the drive in a new enclosure. You can pick up enclosures for like $30 or so usually. It could be ac adapter related to but if its not standard which im sure it isnt that may be harder to replace, probably just better to get a new enclosure.

11. brms22

brms22 Thread Starter

ok thanks for the help

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice