1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cdc1, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

My maxtor 200g hd is acting funny. when i open my computer to look at the contents it only lists the items on the drive through the letter "c". I ran the error check and get an error after phase 2 "windows cannot complete". The drive is NTFS and two partions E 39g and G 150g. G is the only part that is having the difficulty. E works fine. This is not my primary drive so my computer still operates. I also moved some files off of G without trouble and for some got a cyclical redundancy check error and the file would not move?
    Running XP Pro.

Any ideas or help will be great.

2. John Burns

John Burns

3. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

maxtor software says drive is failing.

Any ideas on data recovery/software? Is it the FAT table messed up that causes the listing to run through "c" and stop?

Should I use the software to format the drive before sending it back, or does that really erase all data?

Thanks for the input

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Data recovery is pretty expensive. You might try slaving that drive to another computer to see if you can pull anything off.

You can try formatting it prior to returning it, but that may fail too.

5. John Burns

John Burns

I'm sorry but I don't know answer to your question - I do know that CompUSA wanted $100 to clone the data for me. I was lucky - had some advance notice of failure because of my defragmentation program - I just backed up and saved as much as I could. Mine wasn't under warranty, so rather than pay Maxtor $156 ($187 less $29 return credit), I went to CompUSA and got one for under $100. (It was a Maxtor).

6. ballpark570

ballpark570

I have seen enough of these "failing hard drive" postings that I went out and got a maxtor from best buy for about a hundred bucks and bought a license for a copy of Casper XP disc clone software on the web for 45 bucks and made myself a clone.

Casper XP is the greatest!! I don't worry anymore about disc corruption or failure. If it becomes nessessary, I will just Just pop the backup clone in and I am good to go in about 5 minutes......

7. John Burns

John Burns

cdc1 - another member, paulg - in thread Hardware - Wireless Adapter Suddenly Stops working is trying to get Maxtor's diagnostic program to work and is having problems - do you remember just exactly what you did to get it to work? Am bumping this up so he can contact you just in case he is doing something incorrect in running it. Thanks.

8. cdc1

cdc1 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the input. I found a program named "PC Inspector File Recovery". It sees all of the files that are on the drive, and even shows deleted files. You have to move them to a good drive before being able to check and see if they are good, but it does work.

Are there any rules to follow when formatting or partitioning a drive bigger than 137g in XP? I think it is strange that only the partition that is 152g is affected and not the 37g partition even though it is the same physical drive. Should I make the partions 130 and 70? All of my IDE slots are full so I do not have anywhere to move the data to. The external USB Maxtor 200 gig is only a few dollars more thant the internal at OfficeD, any word on the performance? Or should I just pull out an IDE appliance put in the new, do the transfer then put new where old was? Is it possible to add IDE spaces beyond the four or does this mess things up?

The questionable drive is in a removable caddy, could that have caused a problem? I dont know if drives are supposed to be hot swappable or not, I dont ever take it out.

Thanks again for all answers.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice