Maxtor hard drives x.X

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

akidomowri

I have a maxtor hard drive, 300g, my computer recently stopped reading it. When I try to open it, it says it's not formatted and the file system reads "RAW".

It's not been set as a dynamic disk, and it still has a full partition.

Any ideas what the problem is?

akidomowri

I ran a check. The harddrive is physically fine and working, it's not simply broken

It sounds like the file system has become corrupt.
Hopefully it did not contain anything of value?

Was it FAT or NTFS format?

You could try PC Inspector software to see what, if anything is recoverable.

akidomowri

the Pc Inspector doesn't even do "Retrieving existing files & directories" for the problem drive, but it does for my other drives

A friend had this same thing happen to two Maxtor SATA drives in a row.

Lost all her data on the first one in January of this year, then had it replaced by Dell.

Four months later (May 2005), the second Maxtor failed with the same message you are getting.

Trying to reach Dell and going through hours of tinkering over the phone was too much for her to go through a second time so she went to a shop and they could not fix it or save the data.

She had the drive replaced wtih a Seagate and gave me the last one that failed. I have not had any luck yet with recovering the data either but can see some files on the drive with Knoppix.

When I get time, I want to try to save more but don't have much hope of actually being successful. I want to try several of the data recovery programs that are available to see if any of them are worth keeping.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This is normally where I put in my plug for good data backups...

akidomowri

I have 400g total space, one of my drives is 300g and it has 200g of stuff on it, you do the math John =P

akidomowri

I think it would be safe to say that this is a Windows problem rather than a hardware fault

If you read through the thread there were suggested ways of recovering data from a ''dead'' drive

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
akidomowri said:
I have 400g total space, one of my drives is 300g and it has 200g of stuff on it, you do the math John =P
If you have 200gig of data, you should have enough disk capacity to back it up if you value the data. :) I've already done the math, that's why there are three USB 2.0 drives in a pile next to my computer! :D:D:D

akidomowri

Is there any way of just saying to windows that the drive DOES have a file system, and that it's NTFS, so just read it like you would NTFS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online