Maxtor Hardrive cannot be formatted

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jextra

Cool forum hopefully i can find some help. This AINT the only question I have, I have a lot more where this came from!:) :confused:

I have an extra hard drive on my pc i cannot access because some how windows corrupted it. I would like to format it but i tried just about every thing i could think of. I tried to format it thu the my computer screen in windows but i get this error. I also get an error on windows start up saying something like "there is an error with your hard drive consult your user manual etc.. press enter to continue." when i press enter it takes longer than usual for windows to boot up. I also tried going to maxtor.com to find the hard drive manager application online; i found it and went through the precoces it asked me to do. I wanted to format it didnt format.

Ill post a pic of the hard drive it has all of the model info etc..
IM also having problems with windows paint and taskmanager can i post that here also?

Thanx for your help :)

Attachments

Perhaps the reason you can't use the drive isn't that Windows corrupted it but that there is something wrong with the drive.
Right click on My Computer and choose Manage and the Disk Management. Are you able to format the drive from there?

jextra

just tried it and i got a error message "the format did not complete successfully"

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Download PowerMax Utility from Maxtor and run the hard drive diagnostics on it.

What happens when you try running MaxBlast.

Load a Linux CD and its fdisk and cfdisk programs should tell you if anything funny inside.

Go to control panel and then to adminastrative tools and then to Computer managment and then click on disk management and you can delete the partion and format from there.

jextra

Its been a while just getting around to attempting to fix this thing :(
I tried formatting through Disk Management but it still gives me the cannot format error. I also used max blast it installed the hard drive through dos off of the floppy drive that worked but, i still cannot use the drive.
Drive Maxtor 6E040L0-E127SYQE is reporting: Drive is operating outside normal specifications! What dose this mean???

Attachments

As Squashman noted, get the PowerMax utility from Maxtor and run that against the drive from a DOS boot disk. If necessary, do the Advanced test. That will verify whether the drive has any physical problems; if it does, everything else you try is pointless.

powermax has an iso file for a bootable cd, you should be able to get it from there. or like someone else said, if you have any live linux cd like gentoo, or redhat and etc... you can run fdisk and format the drive from there.

Like I said, formatting (or attempting to format) the disk is pointless if it's got physical damage. Run the PowerMax first.

" Drive is operating outside normal specifications! What dose this mean??? "

It sounds like a SMART error. Basically the drive has died and its time to get a new one.

Just a note there, if you run PowerMAX and it gives you an error code, write that down, then go to Maxtor's site and check the warranty status. If the drive is still under warranty, Maxtor will replace it with a new one, but they'll want the error code to issue an RMA.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online