1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor makes strange sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 4plus2, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Hello,

Ive got this 60GB Maxtor external USB hard drive and sometimes when I shut down the PC this drive makes a strange chirping sound and the light on the front flickers.
    The drive still seems okay, but is this sound anything to be concerned about and how would I stop it, as currently I restart the PC and shut it down again.

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd make sure you have two copies of everything on that drive. :)

3. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

I have copied everything off the drive and assume its about to explode and Ive had it for less than 1 year. Wish I could find the receipt ! Wouldnt buy another Maxtor.

4. JohnWill

You might want to run the Maxtor diagnostics on it to see what it turns up.

5. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill, but Ive been unable to find the tool and I uninstalled all the crap the drive came with. Is there a standalone diagnostics tool? Could you please provide me with a link. Thanks.

6. JohnWill

The CD that came with the drive should have a link to create a bootable floppy with the disk diagnostic on it.

Note that it appears that the Maxtor diagnostic will not handle USB connected drives, so you need to remove the drive from the enclosure and connected it as a secondary to test it. Here's a link to the download, and the user guide link is also on this page.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=a37d8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

7. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

Bit much for me. So might just use the drive as a temporary drive to transfer files and thats it as it still works but I cant reply on it.

8. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

This drive now lives in the Hall Closet. RIP.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Excellent place for anything Maxtor branded!!!!

10. JohnWill

Note that Maxtor has now started to ship drives with a 5 year warranty, they must have either decided to take the loss, or they're producing a better product. :D

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well it could be a sales gimmick because I still throw them out when they die anyway. Why chance getting back one that is worse than you had? Before that I sold the refurbished crap they shipped back on eBay and then decided my conscience could not even take burning people I didn't know.

12. dick471

dick471

Anytime a Maxtor makes chirping sound; it's the lid on your trash can calling for food!

13. 4plus2

4plus2 Thread Starter

I miss having a external drive and want to get another but what brand is best?

14. JohnWill

I'd consider WD or Seagate.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Agreed WD or Seagate in that order.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice