1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

maxtor one touch 4 HELP!!

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kanake, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanake

kanake Thread Starter

HI! I was wondering if anyone here had a similar rpoblem or could help me out with this... I had gotten this Maxtor one touch 4 500gb external HD. I had transferred photos etc. to it and was in the process of copying a few items to my brothers computer and the maxtor had a short cord so we had it propped up on a book. the dog came in and knocked the book over and the hd which wasn't even 2 inches off the ground and now when I plug it iin it makes this whirrling/ grinding noise kinda like when a cd won't play in those little kids plastic cd players. Anyhow... since it won't work when I plug it into the computer, no icons, or anything popping up, even under my computer, is there any way I can save the photos etc that were on there? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!:(

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Hard floor? I had the same thing happen except it was a cat; managed to tip the drive over on the desk in its stand....toasted! It doesn't take much when its writing/reading to touch the platters and put a gouge in.

You can try taking the drive out and hooking it directly to the SATA or IDE connectors on a desktop PC and looking at the drive with recovery software like GetDataBack but if there's physical damage there may not be anything that can read the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice