1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor one touch external and XP pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davco, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davco

davco Thread Starter

When my computer recognizes the Maxtor on USB (now and then) the Device manager shows it with three drivers. One under discs drives - Maxtor one touch II Disc, The second labeled Maxtor personal storage Security with a sub title of Maxtor one touch security and a third under USB labeled Maxtor one touch II. Often the computer says that it can't recognize a device on USB. The device manager then will show a yellow triangle with the black exclamation point on the one touch security line.. If I clcik on "update the driver" It reloads something and says I have to reboot. Rebooting doesn't improve the situation.

The only way forward from there is to turn off the Maxtor, unplug it from the USB, reboot.
    then power up the Maxtor and then plug it into the USB. Then it will announce "Found new hardware". It will stay up until I turn the computer off. Since this is my primary backup, it is a pain.

Maxtor does not know why there are three drivers, and dosn't know what the One Touch Security is. I think that is the one that is blocking everthing when it isn't recognized. They had me uninstall all Maxtor software. Didn't make any difference. Still uninstalled.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd be getting any data that you don't have a copy of off the drive pronto! I have no use for the drive/backup software packaged solutions, I prefer a plain USB drive and I pick the software.

3. marcolopes

marcolopes

The "Maxtor Personal Security Driver" is a PAIN in the ***!
    I'm going nuts with this driver.
    I Installed the WORST software i have ever seen, and along with it, the MAXTOR Drivers

THAT driver gives you the option to PROTECT your drive against unauthorized access.
    NEVER, i repeat, NEVER protect your drive.
    You could loose every bit of data.

Anyway, Many months now and i CANNOT GET that driver OFF my system.
    Tried everything! Even registry editing.
    I think i was rid of it, but them, MY DRIVE is not recognised...

For your specific problem, see if u have the latest BOARD drives and Microsoft USB 2.0 drivers.
    PLEASE check the SITE: http://driveragent.com/
    And do a TEST.

See what u get...

Meanwhile, not even Seagate / Maxtor can help me REMOVE this sucker-driver...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!