1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor One Touch Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cali4niacanuck, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cali4niacanuck

cali4niacanuck Thread Starter

Hi, I cannot access my Maxtor One Touch External hard drive anymore. When I push the One touch button I get the following message:"From Retrospect Express:Script "MaxtorOneTouch" failed during automatic execution,error-1102 (drive missing/unavailable).Please launch Retrospect Express and check the log for details." My computer "sees" the drive it shows up in My Computer as drive :F. It also shows up in the Device Manager option as well as when I right click on "Manage" in My Computer and double click on Disk Management. When I try to click on local disk F: I get the following error message "F:\ is not accessible.Access is denied." with an OK button under the text. I have noticed that at one time it never used to say "local disk F:" I think it used to say F:\"Maxtor OneTouch" but I can't be certain. Any way to "open" the hard drive with out having to reformat and losing some precious data? And for those I'm certain who will ask: yes I've tried to uninstall and re-install the drivers with no success. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.Thanks.:confused:

2. oliver.d

oliver.d

Can you get the log it talks about in retrospect express?

3. cali4niacanuck

+ Duplicate using Maxtor OneTouch at 2/6/2007 2:40 PM
    Can't access volume Backup copy of Drive C (C) on Maxtor (F:), error -1102 (drive missing/unavailable)
    2/6/2007 2:40:51 PM: Execution incomplete
    Quit at 2/6/2007 2:40 PM
    That's the message I'm getting in Retrospect.

4. oliver.d

oliver.d

Have you tried using the device on another PC? That would isolate whether or not it is a problem with the drive, or if we should pursue troubleshooting the PC.

5. cali4niacanuck

Well I don't really have access to another computer. ?????????? Now what????

6. cali4niacanuck

Bump for help

7. Compiler

Compiler

Take it to a friend's computer... or at the very worst - the store you bought it from and plug it into a demo PC on the shelf and see what ya get.

Either the drivers have failes or the port has failes or the device has failed.

(Hence, I prefer the straight/plain ext. backup drives = no drivers)

8. cali4niacanuck

(Hence, I prefer the straight/plain ext. backup drives = no drivers)[/QUOTE]
    What would be the difference between what I have and this statement. Don't all Hard drives need drivers to be recognized?

9. Compiler

Compiler

uh... no.

Unless its Win98 with USB, otherwise I used to use Firewire (still do).
    Here: http://www.vantecusa.com/pdf/nst-360u2-bl.pdf (product sheet)

Product page (NexStar 3) http://www.vantecusa.com/product-storage.html#

The eSATA version is quite nice and includes a card/slot adaptor, and it works with std USB 2.0 systems too!

You drop $50 for the case, then drop in the HD... like $90 gets you a 250GB drive.

Generic EXT drives DO NOT include backup software or 1-touch features.
    But Retrospect, IMHO - is not exactly world class... :(
    And when you need to take your drive from computer to computer... its great to have a STANDARD device.

I have no problems using the built-in MS-backup. (On Windows XP-Home edition, the backup function needs to be manually installed from a CD or the internet - about a 300k file)

10. cali4niacanuck

So is there any way I could remove the hard drive from the case and install it into something else in order to save the data?

11. cali4niacanuck

Either the drivers have failes or the port has failes or the device has failed
    So in this scenario /\ should I consider the data irretrievable. Thanks.

12. Compiler

Compiler

The Maxtor drive inside the case is a standard drive... Try a $50 case.

At the worst, you'll need the case anyways.

13. cali4niacanuck

Ok, so if I can take it apart and put it inside a new case I SHOULD be able to retrieve the data? Thanks Compiler

14. Compiler

Compiler

The drive itself should be fine... if IT works, then it means the maxtor case/unit failed. Since the backup software is still installed on the desktop - then it should also have no problems accessing the backup files. - Of course the 1-touch operation won't be there.

Whatever, your system should see it as a normal HD.

Let us know...

15. burk

burk

Problem similar to that of cali4niacanuck, except that I do not need to retrieve the data.

After several years of perfect performance, my Maxtor One Touch II gives error messages (either drive can’t be found or doesn’t have enough free space, neither of which is true). Uninstalling and reinstalling, and every other attempt to correct the problem has failed.

Since this drive is used strictly for back-up, and all of my files are still intact on my main drives, would it be OK to reformat the external drive? Would it be possible then to reinstall the Maxtor Retrospect Express or would I just have to lose the Maxtor One Touch capabilities? (The instructions caution against reformatting the drive.) Thanks for your help.

burk

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice