1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor One Touch II Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxtorsucks, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxtorsucks

maxtorsucks Thread Starter

I need some help, I've done some research already and can't find a solution.

I am using a Maxtor One Touch II as an external hard drive. I have checked and swapped out the power cord and the UBS cord and confirmed all are working with other devices.

The Maxtor lights up, so the power is getting to it, but I don't hear or feel the hard drive spinning at all. I can hear a faint clicking sound coming from the unit.

Most solutions I have seen on the net elsewhere have you find the drive in explorer or Device manager, but it is not showing up on my computer at all. Alternatively, I can't take the information off the drive if its not even recognized.

Any ideas?

Operation System is Windows 7

2. Hughv

Hughv

Remove the drive from the case and attach it via USB adapter, another enclosure or directly to the computer.
    The clicking sound is ominous.

3. maxtorsucks

Thanks - I started taking the screw out of the back of the unit - things pretty locked down and will take effort to open and wasn't sure how to proceed.

4. Hughv

Hughv

The secret wiil be in the seams. Some of these cases are just pressed together, and it's not like it's doing you any good anyway.
    Next time, buy the case separately from the drive.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Some Maxtor One Touch units used a plastic band around the enclosure which was just "snapped" to the enclosure. If you removed the plastic band the enclosure came apart fairly easily.

6. maxtorsucks

I'm looking at nothing but metal after unscrewing the back plate out.

So you think this is the only option - to take it apart?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice