1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor One Touch III external hard drive not turning on!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaytana, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

Please, can anyone help me my Maxtor ext hard drive stopped working. I was using UTorrent when i was going to get on Guild Wars so i exited UTorrent and played for a couple of hours. Then i went back to watch some bleach and my drive wasnt in my computer. I check but it was on but no lights. I turned it off then back on but nothing. please help its a 300 gb hard drive and it was almost full.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

when you say you went back and your drive wasnt in your computer. Do you mean it was physically disconnected or was it just not showing up as a device on your pc anymore?

could be a few things anyway. Power supply? need new power cable if not turning on.
    on the other hand, it could mean a few other things.

i'll wait for your reply

oh 1 more thing...... BLEACH FAN!!!!!!!! NICE lol

3. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

I went to my computer and it was not shown there. i figured that i had simply turned it off because the light on the front of the external drive was off, but the power switch was on.
    i turned it off then back on and nothing. im not sure about the power supply because the powerlight on it is green until i turn on the hard drive and then it flickers

Oh and the utorrent file i was downloading was all 164 episodes and movies and it was almost done too<(

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

If its powering up,then its prob not anything to do with power.
    When flickering, its prob just trying to read drive. Have you tried using the backup button on this drive yet to see if it causes anything to happen?

have you tried connecting it to any other pc's to see if its recognised?

5. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

ok im not sure im explaining clear enough there are two lights
    one on the actuall power suply and one one the external hard drive itself
    the power supply lights up but the external stays dark and silent

6. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

This is really cool i didnt expect someone to come to my aid this quickly:cool:

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Ok and when you turn the hard drive on the power light flickers yes?
    in which case, it very well could be the power supply cable causing the problem.

like i said tho 1st thing to try would be to connect to another computer and see if its recognised.
    and also does the backup button(big button on front) when pressed cause any action?

8. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

no there is no reaction when i press the button nor anything else

9. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

the problem is more than likely the power supply becuase its not that it is not connecting to the computer its the fact that it just isnt turnin on

10. kaytana

kaytana Thread Starter

it turns out that somehow the casing for the hard-drive went belly up so all i had to do is order a new one and install my old hard-drive in it

11. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

kool, glad you found the problem. Hope its all working great for you now

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice