1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor to Laxtnr back to Maxtor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lance1, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Hi all!

My 30gb Maxtor is acting funny for a few days now. At times I’ll get a balloon popup in the system tray saying, “New Hardware Found” and the name of it is “Laxtnr” I go into device manager and sure enough Maxtor is now Laxtnr! At times it’s accessible under that name and other times it’s not. I uninstall the Laxtnr drive and then search for hardware changes and then Laxtnr will now become Maxtor! I ran SeaTools and it passed all tests so what the heck?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Google results for "Laxtnr" indicate it is fairly common.

3. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Yes I Googled it to but found no solution as yet.

4. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

So far from what I have read it might point to the IDE cable. I have an 80 pin right now so I’ll pull that and put in a 40 pin and see what happens.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The 40 wire will slow your drive and will disable cable select if your drive is jumpered for cable select. Maybe try another 80 wire cable though.

6. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Well I dug in my box of spare parts and found a brand new 80 pin I forgot about. I pulled the old 80 pin and install the new 80 and booted the system. While the computer was booting I closely inspected the old 80 pin ribbon and found a very minute tear in the casing. I would guess that it is feasible that this could be the source of the problem. Well I guess that all I can do is wait and see if Laxtnr reappears.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/786291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice