1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maxtor turns on & off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woj2322, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woj2322

woj2322 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Maxtor OneTouch II 300gb external hard drive. It works fine sometimes, but there's times when it turns off/on quickly (I don't mean off/on, I mean it is recognized by the computer, then it isn't). Sometimes this cycles over and over (as the 'new device found' sound repeats) Sometimes it gives Delayed Write Failed error msgs too. It seems to shut off randomly though, even when I'm not active on any of the computers I've hooked it up to. Wondering if there's any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance-
    Mike

2. rolandk10

rolandk10

Is this a USB drive? If so, can you try a different cable? Is it hooked up through a hub or direct?

3. woj2322

woj2322 Thread Starter

USB 2.0 drive. Have tried diff. cable. Has occured both in an XP laptop and an XP PC, one directly and one with a hub.

4. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Power supply is probably junk....

ive always wondered if you can take the HD from the enclosure and slap it into the desktop... im sure you can, but never tried...

5. woj2322

woj2322 Thread Starter

could i buy a new power supply ya think?

6. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Im sure you can buy one from whoever made your external HD

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/600049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice