1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

May be infected with Malware that Security Software is not detecting.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JustNotSure, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustNotSure

JustNotSure Thread Starter

Hi to all,

I have a fairly new re-install of MS Windows 7 Enterprise and I think it may have been compromised with Malware of some sort. (I got the copy of Win 7 Enterprise from my College Professor, but I do not use my PC to connect to a server or a home or work network. I'm just a basic Home User connecting to the Internet)

IN SHORT I NEED TO KNOW: if my Hijackthis Report shows signs of Malware and if so, how do I get rid of it for good? And... Do I need to do another re-install and wipe my hard-drive again with DBAN? Also should I move all my data off my portable hard-drive and format it to clean it up before moving my data back onto it and plugging it into my clean install? Any and All help is greatly appreciated.

Below is my System Info from the utility provided, details about my issue, and a hijackthis report.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1535 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 0 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76216 MB, Free - 62661 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4B266LM
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have been experiencing odd behavior on my PC for some time now. I have tried to take steps toward changing this behavior but to no avail. I even did a clean re-install a couple times using the Custom O.S. install option. But it seems that each new re-install falls into the same problems. On my last attempt to re-install I first used DBAN to wipe the drive and start with a clean hard disk.

Some of the problems I am running into are: System Idle CPU usage tends to stay in the 90's% even when I have my Internet browser open while also scanning my PC with Secunia PSI or Microsoft Security Essentials and perhaps even running one other program such as Open Office. I have also noticed that even if I am logged on as Administrator, I am sometimes denied access to certain folders and files. Also, I noticed that when I am installing a new program that I had just downloaded, I get a flash in the upper left hand corner of my screen. After seeing the flash happen so many times, I think it's a quick flash of the command prompt cause I see black in that area when it flashes. And I have also had my Home Page of my web browser change even though I did not change it. When installing new programs, I always un-check the option to “make such-and-such” your home page but it still gets changed. By the way I use Firefox as my web browser. So since the system idle is using up so much of the CPU, everything I try to do normally on my PC either runs VERY slow with a lot of “not responding”, or the app just crashes and I lose any progress I had accomplished using the app. I have run many different types of AntiVirus software to see if they can fix the problem, however none of them report a virus. I usually just try these other AntiVirus applications and if they don't detect anything I uninstall them and stick with my current security software: Microsoft Security Essentials and I also use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall (but had to un-install ZoneAlarm before my Hijackthis report cause it got turned off some how and would not restart.)

With all that said, I have finally come to realize that all my O.S. installs have one thing in common. I use my 250GB portable hard-drive to transfer all my data back onto the new install. No programs, just document, pictures and music. I do however store some downloaded videos from awhile back on this portable hard-drive as well. Since the problem keeps persisting, I thought perhaps something on my portable hard-drive is causing the problem. I did some research and discovered that the source site where I got the videos is a questionable website know for Malware. Yikes....I store the videos on my portable hard-drive only and not on my PC's hard-drive, but I plug the hard-drive into my PC to watch them. I have decided that these videos are not worth keeping since they came from a “suspect” site and I have deleted them from the portable hard-drive and then I emptied my recycle bin on my PC. I am not sure if that got rid of the threat that could have been on this hard-drive since someone told me that portable hard-drives have their own recycle bin that needs to be emptied too. But I'm not sure how to find it.

So I need to know if my Hijackthis Reports show signs of Malware and if so, how do I get rid of it for good? Do I need to do another re-install and wipe my hard-drive again with DBAN? Also should I move all my data off my portable hard-drive and format it to clean it up before moving my data back onto it and plugging it into my clean install?

Following is my “Hijackthis” Reports: First my Start up List and Second my Log File
    StartupList report, 11/5/2011, 2:24:20 AM
    StartupList version: 1.52.2
    Started from : C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
    Detected: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3505 SP1)
    Detected: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
    * Using default options
    ==================================================

Running processes:

C:\Windows\system32\taskhost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ymsgr_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Windows\helppane.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Windows\notepad.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Common Startup:
    [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
    Secunia PSI Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    UserInit = C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

MSC = "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    SunJavaUpdateSched = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    CheckPoint Cleanup = C:\Users\ANGELA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cpes_clean_launcher.exe C:\Users\ANGELA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cpes_clean.exe

Autorun entries from Registry:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Messenger (Yahoo!) = "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet

Shell & screensaver key from C:\Windows\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
    SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
    drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=explorer.exe
    SCRNSAVE.EXE=*Registry value not found*
    drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
    HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9}

Enumerating Winsock LSP files:

NameSpace #1: C:\Windows\system32\NLAapi.dll
    NameSpace #2: C:\Windows\system32\napinsp.dll
    NameSpace #3: C:\Windows\system32\pnrpnsp.dll
    NameSpace #4: C:\Windows\system32\pnrpnsp.dll

Enumerating Windows NT logon/logoff scripts:
    *No scripts set to run*

Windows NT checkdisk command:
    BootExecute = autocheck autochk *

Windows NT 'Wininit.ini':
    PendingFileRenameOperations: C:\Users\ANGELA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\nsv8726.tmp\|||a

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

WebCheck: *Registry key not found*

End of report, 4,114 bytes
    Report generated in 0.079 seconds

Command line options:
    /verbose - to add additional info on each section
    /complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
    /full - to include several rarely-important sections
    /force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
    /forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
    /forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
    /history - to list version history only

...end of Start Up Log....

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:22:50 AM, on 11/5/2011
    Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.01.3505 SP1)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
    C:\Windows\helppane.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {91da5e8a-3318-4f8c-b67e-5964de3ab546} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CheckPoint Cleanup] C:\Users\ANGELA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cpes_clean_launcher.exe C:\Users\ANGELA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cpes_clean.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Global Startup: Secunia PSI Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O23 - Service: Secunia PSI Agent - Secunia - C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\PSIA.exe
    O23 - Service: Secunia Update Agent - Secunia - C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\sua.exe

--
    End of file - 3098 bytes

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Uninstall HiJackThis 2.0.2 because it's outdated and won't display properly with Windows 7.

After that's done, go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

--------------------------------------------------------

You're running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1(32-bit) in a very old computer that has an Intel Pentium IV 1.60 GHz processor and 1536 MB(1.5 GB) of DDR RAM, so you're probably going to be disappointed with its speed and performance.

I also suspect that you won't find drivers for all of its devices.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. JustNotSure

JustNotSure Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Flavallee. Below please find my New HijackThis report taken while logged into my Admin. Acct. at 12:30pm 11-5-11.

I did however run into a little problem when running the scan. The HijackThis reported, prior to finishing scan, My system denied write access to the hosts file, if any Hijacked domains are in this file, it may not be fixed.

Also, even though I am logged into my Administrative Account I am being denied access to things. I found this out when trying to fix a problem that occurred out of the blue. My ZoneAlarm Free Firewall stopped/shut off, and after trying many times to get it started again I had to uninstall it. Now when I start or restart my PC I get a Command Prompt type window titled cpes_clean_launch.exe and the window is blank. After about a min. I am prompted to either allow this program to make changes to my hard-drive or not. I have choose both options with the same result....Windows Firewall is reported as off. I turn it on of course and at the next restart the same thing happens. It said that this file is located in the Users AppData\Local\Temp folder. I have tried every way I know how to search and find this AppData folder, but every search comes back with no match. I tried looking in my User folder, but there is NO System or Program files listed under My Admin User Account. The categories in my User folder are as follows: Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, My Docs, My Music, My Pics, My Videos, Saved Games and Searches. And it also indicates at the bottom that it is Shared...I think that is because I have a Standard User Account that I use when doing basic computing like surfing the web, or playing my music, or writing a letter.

And there is more....Secunia PSI lists a program I am not familiar with. I have never seen this program listed in PSI in my previous O.S. re-installs. The program is CMAK Connection Manager Administration Kit and when I double click it in PSI I get a small 2x2 window that is blank and the only option offered is to click ok or click the red x to close the window. When I search at Start Menu for this program it is not listed and I am unable to change the permissions for it to allow me to view it or make changes to it. Remember I am running Win 7 Enterprise, but I am just a basic home user and the only network I connect to is the Internet.
    I hope this isn't toooooooo much information, I just wanted to let it be know what I discovered.

Here's my HijackThis Report......

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 12:36:24 PM, on 11/5/2011
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {91da5e8a-3318-4f8c-b67e-5964de3ab546} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
    O4 - Global Startup: Secunia PSI Tray.lnk = C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi_tray.exe
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O23 - Service: Secunia PSI Agent - Secunia - C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\PSIA.exe
    O23 - Service: Secunia Update Agent - Secunia - C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\sua.exe

--
    End of file - 2400 bytes

Thanks again Flavallee for your help.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go to Control Panel - User Accounts.

Click "Change UAC Settings".

Move the slider down to "Never Notify", then click OK.

Restart the computer.

HiJackThis 2.0.4 should work properly now.

Do another scan and then submit the new log.

You can easily access the C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp folder by clicking Start - Run, then typing in %temp% and then clicking OK.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025544

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice