1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maybe a nerd that is more nerd than me can help me.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Otousan, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

Hello,
    I had bought my PC through CyberPowerPC and have spoken with them concerning my problems a few times. They have opted to service my PC, which will cost me about $100. 70 or so for a hardrive to back up my system and then more money for shipping a whole PC to California. So I don't want to spend $100 and probably a month for them to say it's all good and send it back not good.

So my problem is I have been getting frame drops and audio crackling/desync during the frame drops. For instance in Overwatch, which I have lowered the graphics to all low except the resolution, I usually get 70-85 frames when I first log on or the FPS drops at random times. But then all of a sudden it goes to 30-40 FPS and spikes all over the place. It also consistently drops when a large graphical "occurrence" happens like being in the middle of high particle team fight. And then sometimes it will just pop back when I die and back to 70-85 frames, but it doesn't stay that way. And then another game like Borderlands 2, a game that is not multiplayer and an old game. I would get 120 frames on high settings when I'm running around, but when I shoot a barrel right under my feet or a high graphical occurrence happens, back to 30-40 frames and it would stay that way. I even got it to go as low as 11 FPS in BL2.

I have updated everything I can think of, NVIDIA, Windows, and my motherboard drivers. Even overclocking which I don't think I did right (I didn't destroy my PC I just didn't know what I was doing).

So any info would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

SPECS:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 1 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 16
    RAM: 16279 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (21 GB Free); E: 931 GB (828 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., X399 AORUS Gaming 7
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    We have no way of knowing how well you maintain your PC and what's installed and running in it, so that can have a noticeable impact on performance and speed.

The processor and graphic card in your PC use a combined total of 300W of power.

Clipboard.jpg

When you factor in the power needs for its other hardware and the demands of gaming, a quality power supply with sufficient wattage is needed.
    What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply in your PC?

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, so I'll leave you to those here who are.
    Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

There hasn't been a lot done to it, other than updating drivers so I'd gather it's pretty clean.
    And the power supply is an 800 Watt "Standard 80 plus certified power supply". It's a CyberPower branded power supply, which I have just read is causing problems with people's systems like destroying parts. I've had the system since January, so would a bad power supply cause parts to be ineffective and cause the issues?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    With all the complaints I've heard over the years about CyberPower PC, I'm surprised that company is still in business.

As I previously said, I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, so you really need to get advice from the members here who are.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you have a gigabyte board, go to the support page for your board;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl
    Download and install app center then install system information viewer. Once installed and rebooted, open siv and post the following data; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and once while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT. Let the stress test run for at least 2 min so temps and voltages stabilize. Do not post a pic on a third party site; not many people like to click on unknown links. Post your data here using the upload a file button.
    I agree with the above cyberpower is pretty low end.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Otousan:

crjdriver is one of the hardware/gaming experts here, so I'll leave you with him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

I ran SIV and the sitting CPU temp is 34
    Sitting +12V is 12.168V (Varying slightly)
    Sitting +3.3V is 3.344V
    Sitting +5V is 5.04V

Then I ran Prime95 for the stress test at Small FFT's and number of torture test thread at 16 (default)
    It spiked to a CPU temp of 67, which gradually went down to around 38 during the 2 minutes but would spike back up to 67 and gradually go down again.

Hope that tells you something.

8. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

Also, and I don't know if they should, but +12, +3.3, and +5 all did not change during the stress test.

And from my first post, I'm not getting 70-85 frames anymore, I'm getting 30-50

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps and voltages look fine so overheating or a failing pw supply is not the problem.
    Start testing other parts. Use something like cinebench or other video benchmark to test your video card. Use memtest to test your memory. Memtest runs from bootable media ie usb or cd.
    http://www.memtest.org/
    Before testing the video card, make sure it is clean ie blow it out with a can of air. Make sure the card is fully seated in the slot.

10. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

What download for Memtest should I install

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You do not install anything. It runs from bootable media. One of the download options is for an auto-installer/maker for a usb. You then boot your system with the bootable usb.
    Note you may have to disable secure boot in the bios in order to boot from a usb.

12. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

I ran Cinebench 3 times and the FPS that I got were 87, 82, and 79. And I used the air can.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

So it is working ok now?

14. Otousan

Otousan Thread Starter

Not even close :(

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tested the memory with memtest and what was the outcome?
    I am off for work for three days so I will not be posting.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice