Maybe a Power/Tower problem ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MajorTruth41

When I boot up my system, it gets to the CD drive and then the hard drive light comes on, but it doesn't go past that. It just hangs and the monitor doesn't show the boot up progress.

But...

If I turn on the power, then off, then on again real quick, the system beeps, and boots up like normal.

I am assuming it is a power button malfunction or power gone bad on the tower in general.

But...

When I go to shutdown, it does its usual thing, but then there is no "it is now safe to shutdown" screen, and the hard drive light is red and hangs, but whenever I boot up, it doesn't try to scan for errors. So the system thinks it is shutting down like normal.

I downloaded and installed the latest Via Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers, which my motherboard works off of, and it didn't help.

I have the latest update for McAfee and it doesn't find any viruses.

dustyjay

Jay
what version of windows are you using? and what are your computer specs?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
"When I boot up my system, it gets to the CD drive and then the hard drive light comes on, but it doesn't go past that. It just hangs and the monitor doesn't show the boot up progress."

You need to explain this better. The first time you turn it on do you see anything on the screen?

MajorTruth41

Sorry about that.

No nothing appears on screen. Everything else sounds normal, components are being accessed, component lights light up, and then the system hangs - right before the system beeps.

Here are the system specs...

Windows 98
AMD-K6 550 3D processor
System Board - K6BV3 + /66

I built the system a couple years ago. No problems except for these 2...

Problem 1 - start-up

The only problem I have had in 2 years is that a couple times the system would do what I am talking about on booting up, except that I didn't figure out that I could get it working by turning on, then off, then back on (quickly). The previous couple times, I just played around with the power lines (pulled them out of the components and then plugged them back in), and that seemed to fix it. Except for this last time, nothing worked until I happened upon the on/off/on method.

Problem 2 - shutting down

Originally when I built the system, it did the same thing, instead of going to the "it is now safe to shutdown..." screen it would just go black and the hard drive would hang. I then updated the Via 4-in-1 driver, and that fixed it. I updated the driver again with the latest driver, but this time it didn't fix it.

So like I said before, I assumed it was just a bad power connection or start button, but I also have the shutting down problem, and I don't know if they are related. I don't want to buy a new tower, and find out that wasn't the problem. :(

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
There are many shutdown patches for Windows 98 becuase it has so many shutdown problems.

Here's a site that deals with it: http://aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnme.htm
and a direct link to the 98 SE shutdown patch: http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

As for the second problem, make sure the video card is nicely seated in the AGP slot.
You may also want to try a BIOS update to see if it resolves it. Maybe there's a compatibility issue with the Video Card or Powersupply or the motherboard itself. The power switch isn't likely the problem if the system powers on - it just closes the circuit to turn the system on and plays no function turning the system off. If the system turns on then its not likely the culprit.

There is a power rail called power_good that requires a signal to indicate everything is OK.

The Power_Good signal is a +5v signal generated in the power supply when it has passed its internal self tests and the outputs have stabilised.

This normally takes anywhere from .1 - .5 secs after you turn on the power supply switch.

This signal is then sent to the motherboard, where it is used to control the reset line to the processor.

If this signal is missing then what you are seeing is what happens. A quick on/off will reset the PC and it will boot.

It could indicate a power supply or connection problem, where the power is not meeting the specs and power_good is not being generated.

MajorTruth41

Thanks for the help guys.

I figured out the problem. My A drive wasn't being accessed on start-up. Once I fixed that, booting up is back to normal.

I am still not getting the "safe to shut-down now..." screen though, even after I updated with the latest Win98 shut-down patch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online