1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

maybe bad choice going from 98 to xp?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sueb_51, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

could somebody please help me out here. My daughter was running win 98se with no problems including her printer working just fine. well she just upgraded to win exp and all hell has broke loose here lol. I fixed alot of issues but her printer will still not work properly. I have gone into lexmark website with the series # but i see no availabilty for xp. other then different #'s which i am not gonna attempt. any help would be appreciated. thanx in advance!!

2. ukantcme

ukantcme

i would say no, i love xp as opposed to 98. whats weird is that xp doesnt recognize the printer; normally you just plug and play. when you attach another device xp normally sees that the new hardware is plugged in and installs the necessary drivers to allow the device to operate. maybe try unplugging the printer and reattaching it and see if it recognizes it.

3. norton850

norton850

Unfortunately sometimes there are no XP drivers for hardware that was originally manufactured for Win98. But don't give up yet. What model printer?

4. brite750

brite750

This is NOT to jab at you, really i know how it is, but when you switch OS you should always make sure that you have all the drivers for your hardware before install. I think MS even has a compatibility tool or something of that nature, to use when you upgrade, but i wish you good luck with your printer, and hope you don't develope other hardware and software issues, remember alot of older software may not work with XP either. Just a heads up.

5. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

I wouldnt do anything to a computer without a GHOST image to restore.
    The first thing i do when installing anything or upgrading is make a GHOST image to an independent HD. I have never failed to recover from a mistake.

Question, if the computer was working fine why upgrade?

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Answer: Sometimes people's curiosity overtakes their better judgement.

7. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

The printer is a Lexmark Z515 injet. She had to upgrade to xp because she purchased Office 2002 so she could have power point for school.

8. labman

labman

9. sueb_51

sueb_51 Thread Starter

Thanx so much labman. found it :)

10. labman

labman

Happy to help :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!