Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe Building New PC

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  krystianb12 
#1 ·
I am considering on building a new PC, i have all the parts chosen but i wanted to see if they are going to be ok, or if anything would be better if they would be changed, if you see what i mean.

This is the Setup i was considering :
Case - Casecom 5288 Black Mid Tower
Power Supply - Corsair 500w CX Extreme
Motherboard - Asus M4N68T-M LE V2
CPU - AMD Athlon II x4 640
RAM - Corsair 4GB (2x2Gb) 1333Mhz
Hard Drive - Western Digital 500Gb Caviar Blue
Disk Drive - LiteOn IHAS122 22x
Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 6670 512MB

Do you think i would need any changes to this? to make it Better/Cheaper.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Some thoughts on your build;

1 Motherboard. IMO when you do an amd build, you use a quality board using an amd chipset [same goes for an intel build; use a quality board using an intel chipset] When you use third party chipsets ie nvidia you add an extra layer of complexity to the issue.
This would be a MUCH better choice of board. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4A79XTD_EVO/#overview

2 Hard drive. Get a WD black series drive. Better built, better warranty.

3 The case looks a little cheap. A good quality case is an investment that will last you for a number of builds. Up to you however I would go with a antec like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

#5 ·
How much speed difference would i recieve between the proccesors?as it is only 20 dollars more.

Im not sure if i intend to upgrade but propably yes.

The Motherboard you listed, what would be better in it than the one i am already using.as it is double the price and i am unsure which one to choose,

#7 ·
The Motherboard you listed, what would be better in it than the one i am already using.as it is double the price and i am unsure which one to choose,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 AMD chipset over nvidia chipset

2 Four ram slots over two ram slots

3 Supports faster ram without overclocking ie 1600 over 1333 for the board you posted.

#12 ·
Historically I have never had trouble using third-party chipsets, though it is my understanding that some people have had problems. But then, when you build your own, some people always have problems.

Generally, when preparing a build, I determine the end use of the box before I start, and I build it to that purpose as inexpensively as I can.

So, I think the very first question you need to ask yourself is: "What am I going to use this for, today and tomorrow?" The answer to that question will dictate a lot of your choices.

You seem to have specified a budget system. With that in mind, I personally have no objection to your specified motherboard; it is cheap, handles current generation processors, and Asus is a good brand. However it lacks a lot of expansion capability so if your needs grow this system won't grow with you.

I don't know anything about the case you have specified and without one in front of me so I can evaluate fit, finish, and features, I can't say much. However, you are ahead of the game in buying a good case because it not only will last for several builds but it will also make your life easier along the way with servicing. Cheap cases, for instance, very often have sharp or jagged metal edges in them which often results in annoying small cuts to the fingers as you work inside it. Also there is the issue of flexibility of design, cooling capability, and expansion capability. Not to mention noise.

I would definitely spend a few $$$ more and buy a Phenom-II processor rather than an Athlon. Greatly improved performance, and the Athlons run very hot. Also, should you decide to upgrade, it is quite possible that if you already have a Phenom-II you won't need to replace the processor when you change the mobo.

#14 ·
Sorry didnt have a proper look but, which make etc would be best to buy In your opinion.?
I use corsair, crucial, or kingston ram in builds for people. For me, I will sometimes use off brand [if it has problems, there is no one to blame but me] My current system is using patriot ram; since the egg had a great deal on an 8gig kit.

#17 ·
The phenom is the same chip as the athlon that I posted in the origional thread having the extra cache barely makes a difference in performance if you look at the benchmarks.

Athlon II x4 640 - 3470
Phenom II x4 - 4347

For you needs that will barely make a difference and it does push the price up quite a lot. The motherboard with the 2 PCI-E slots is also a bit overkill considering your earlier requirements. The case is one that I have used before and personally I have found no problems with build quality at all. The performance difference between 1600Mhz and 1333Mhz is very small as you also have to take into account the timings of the RAM, 1600Mhz generally being slower. The extra costs here are not really worth it as the performance gains would be negligible.

Jack-O-Bytes

#18 ·
Also having more than about 4Gb of RAM will often not make a noticable difference unless you are a real power user that keeps loads and loads of internet tabs and programs open. I have had about 8 tabs on firefox and about 3 other programs including Media player, MSN, and office programs and have never had an issue when using only 2Gb of RAM on windows 7.

#19 ·
The phenom is the same chip as the athlon that I posted in the origional thread having the extra cache barely makes a difference in performance if you look at the benchmarks.

Athlon II x4 640 - 3470
Phenom II x4 - 4347

For you needs that will barely make a difference and it does push the price up quite a lot. The motherboard with the 2 PCI-E slots is also a bit overkill considering your earlier requirements. The case is one that I have used before and personally I have found no problems with build quality at all. The performance difference between 1600Mhz and 1333Mhz is very small as you also have to take into account the timings of the RAM, 1600Mhz generally being slower. The extra costs here are not really worth it as the performance gains would be negligible.

Jack-O-Bytes
Where did you get those benchmarks from?

As indicated, they show the Phenom-II at 25% greater performance, which I would not call negligible. Lacking information about clock rates and so forth, it is hard to tell if these comparisons are apples to apples or not. Regardless of that, the Phenom-II will run a lot cooler than the Athlon which makes thermal management easier.

I do agree about the RAM.

It looks like the benchmarks come from here. I note that the specified difference in price between the Athlon-II that you used and the Phenom-II 955 is $20. Thus, there is a 25% performance increase for a 20% cost increase. Seems worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.