1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Maybe Hard Drive issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by festa_freak, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. festa_freak

festa_freak Thread Starter

Hi!!!

For about a year my computer has been freezing at very random intervals. It seems to be during hard drive intesive activities such as:

Defragmenting
    Gaming
    Downloading at max speeds

I don't know what the problem is. I don't know if its the Hard drive driver, a setting in windows, or if the drive is failing?

Any help is appreciated.

Win XP 32bit
    P4 HT 2.8Ghz
    7800GT

In device manager the drive is listed as
    ST3160021AS - Driver from 2001
    i dont know the make of the hard drive.

2. SB305

SB305

It may be an overheating issue.
    Check the temperatures in BIOS immediately after restarting from one of the freezes.
    You could also remove one of the case sides and, with the PC switched off, carefully remove any dust build-up, particularly in the fan and fins of the CPU heatsink. Take the necessary precautions not to kill your PC with an electrostatic jolt while it's opened up.
    Simply running the PC with one side removed may reduce its internal temperature enough. Alternatively, you could point a small domestic fan into the open case.
    If you get no more freezes, it will indicate that the problem was overheating.

3. festa_freak

festa_freak Thread Starter

It runs a little hot. Off the top of my head (when playing oblivion)
    CPU- 55
    Video-65
    Hard drive was around cpu temp.

I can play oblivion for hours, yet when I defragment, 95% of the time it freezes. That is nowhere near as full a load as a modern game of any kind.

The only game that ever really freezes for me is CS: Source, and i assume it is the same problem.

If the sound is on the speakers emit a horrible loud (yet it varies everytime) screechy sound.

Anyways thanks for the quick reply.

4. SB305

SB305

I'd guess you've already run Scandisk and the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
    Have you tried Memtest86 to check the RAM?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice