MB and a GPU compatability

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kannan.2000

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I've asked on here but can a 1660 super-fit into a
ASUS M5A78L-M Plus/USB3
also another not so smart question with this current GPU market do you think that buying this 1660 super for only 300 dollars is a scam?? because the other ones I've been looking at are like 500-600 doller at LEAST the GPU is on offer up so I wont be able to get a warranty too, please let me know what you think! thank you.

crjdriver

That board has a pci-e2 slot so yes the card will work with that board AT a slower pci-2 speed. Whether or not you have room in your case, is unknown. You would have to measure IF you have room. Since that card is now three generations old, is this a used card?

Kannan.2000

okay well the card that i am buying is from a full gaming PC and said it hasn't been used that much and someone was going to buy everything in the computer except the GPU so I really don't know if its a scam plus I'm only 14 so I'm not ver aware of what is and isn't gonna be a scam to me here I will send you the link if you'd like from offer up so you could take a look at it.

crjdriver

And the card will run at reduced speed due to pci-2 rather than pci-3.

okay well thank you alot!
You may have an issue trying to get that Card to work on your motherboard. Your motherboard has a Legacy Bios and most newer video cards need a UEFI Bios to work. You need the brand and exact model number of the card to try to find out.There are many 1660 supers, that doesn't really tell us anything except the chip set. Some brands did have dual bios on the cards or a toggle switch to switch from one to the other. I have two older computers with legacy bios and I was able to pick up 3 XFX RX460's last year used for $60 each and they were compatible with my two and my brothers desktops all Legacy Bios. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on what cards will and won't work on legacy. Most of the issues is with the AMD cards. I have read where they have better luck on legacy with the NVIDIA cards.

Oh, also I forgot to mention your power supply has to be big enough to run the card and have the 6 or 8 pin power connectors required!

Kannan.2000

I am now way too scared to pick one of these up for my PC haha I will just build a new PC rather than trying to figure out all this stuff, this stuff is so confusing and my bios don't even work I don't think every time I try to boot into it, it won't let me so I am not risking it at all! thank you guys for your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts