1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MBR and GPT external hard drive format use with 2 computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrbuergel, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    So with a new Western Digital 1 TB hard drive put into a external enclosure connected by eSATA which is to be better format type, MBR or the GPT? The reason I ask this is that I have 2 computers set up, one is a 2012 Dell with Windows 7 and has a MBR drive, and my other store built last year Windows 10 system which has 2 drives both with the GPT since that newer computer uses the UEFI as well. So if I want to share it between these 2 PCs will it work out okay formatted the newer GPT, or are the 2 types not at all compatible? I plan to just use that drive for storage as ntfs, and for backups. Okay thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It will work either way. Unless you want to delete everything one the drive and start over, just leave it as is. The only way to change a storage drive from mbr to gpt is by deleting everything off of the drive. A system drive can be changed in win10 however not a storage drive.

3. jrbuergel

jrbuergel Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Okay thanks, and I did find a MBR to GPT conversion tool and GPT to MBR available online which keeps your drive data and O/S. Here is one of them, as well as some of the better partitioning tools can do that conversion safely also; https://www.diskgenius.com/partition-management.php .If I install a newer Linux such as the Mint 19.2 onto that new hard drive in the external enclosure, after formatting it as GPT with my Windows 10 newer system, will it be okay with selecting the GPT type during the install?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, there are third party tools however you may find that they do not do the job. Using the native windows tools, only a system drive can be converted. In any case, IF there is anything you want on the drive, be sure and back it up prior to using any third party tool.

To answer your question, when doing a windows install it is best to have the disk blank ie no partition info, no mbr/gpt ie nothing on the drive. Let windows setup install in whatever manner it thinks best.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice