1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mbr corrupted; will repair dlt old files?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Traifin, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Hello,

I have winxp on a 80gig hd which is missing the ntldr file.

I used the 6-floppy disk Microsoft Home Edition WinXP Boot Disks mentioned on bootdisk.com to get to the recovery console.

Once there i tried to copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from a floppy to my c:\ drive only to get this message: "en error occured during directory enumeration".

I tried to create a directory to copy the two files into (mkdir c:\i386) and recieved a message stating that my mbr was corrupted.

Using two files from the 6-disk boot, fixboot and fixmbr, i tried to fix the mbr only to have kept the same problem... neither worked at all.

Is there a way to fix a corrupted mbr and keep important files that were on the harddrive from being erased?

I am hoping for a repair of xp not a clean install. Files on the computer belonged to my father and are not replacable at all, no other copies made... i was unaware of the fact that he had not made backup copies. That lesson is a hard one this time.

Traifin

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try booting from the XP CD, which will also give you a Recovery Console, and try doing a repair on the current XP installation. A repair can result in lost files/settings though.

3. mobo

mobo

Go to the repair console then follow the following and type in the commands:

type FIXBOOT and answer yes after

type in the following commands and after each click enter and be sure to leave all spaces exactly as they are..

CD \
    ATTRIB -H NTLDR
    ATTRIB -S NTLDR
    ATTRIB -R NTLDR
    ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -S NTDETECT.COM
    ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
    COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)
    COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ (X IS THE LETTER OF YOUR CDROM)

Afterwards reoot

4. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far,

Tried exactly as suggested, but get a message saying file cannot be copied.

The big problem that seems to be messing all of our ideas up is the fact that no drives seem to exist. Its hard to explain this for me since i have never seen this before...

when booting without a bootdisk, the computer gives the message :

ntldr is missing
    to restart type ctrl+alt+delete

If i do reboot with a simple boot disk (not xp but the oldstyle floppy boot disks just made to start the computer), then the floppy drive is found but no other drive exists to have access to (in other words there are no partitioned or formatted drives to copy files to because the hard drive is "not an existing drive or is an invalid path".

If i use a bootable cdrom in the cdrom drive to boot with, the floppy drive and c:\ are not found,... in other words only the drive that is booting the computer is actually found on bootup.

Lastly, my original windows xp home edition boot disk has been missing since my house flooded a couple of months ago, so i have been using the 6-floppy disk method from microsoft to get to the recovery console and add the commands you have suggested. I copied the ntdetect.com and ntldr files to a floppy disk from another computer in the house (no cd burner on it) with xp home edition.

Here's where the problem seems to lie, when booting into the recovery console, all of the drives are active since drivers for the cdrom and floppy drives are included in the bootup, but the c:\ drive that is created seems to be a temporary drive that is created to store the files that allowed the computer to be bootable in the first place (from the 6-floppy disk method). The original c:\ drive still does not exist as a location to be copied to or manipulate in any way.

It seems that when the computer boots, it finds no hard drive partitions whatsoever.

When using the recovery console and adding the attribute commands while targeting the a:\ntdetect.com and a:\ntldr which i have on floppy drive, the attributes do seem to take effect, however when trying to copy the files to the hard drive, (ie. c:\), i get the message "this file cannot be copied".

I tried copying the files from the same floppy disk to a temp folder on the computer that still works and the files Did copy fine from the disk to the folder.

The problem computer simply has no location to react with, but if it is really wiped out completely, why is it looking for the ntldr file at boot up?

If the c:\ drive (location of winxp on hard drive) really does not exist in some workable form, why do i not get a message saying no bootable drive?

Traifin

5. mobo

mobo

Do you have access to another xp system ?

6. mobo

mobo

Also if you have a 98 bootdisk please boot up with it and type fdisk. Then select the option to view partitions. We want to see if it is recognized at all..

7. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

I tried the fdisk command as suggested.

It does not show any partitions at all.

8. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

I do have access to another xp system but it has no way to transfer files other than floppy disks. No burner.

9. mobo

mobo

open the case and check that the cables are on securely as well as in the system bios.

10. mobo

mobo

Check those first then we'll make another type of floppy.

11. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Okay... will do that now. Won't be able to respond for a little while... sister has to use this computer for work. will reply asap.

12. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Checked in bios: Hard drive is shown

Checked cables inside the case: connections were and are secure.

13. mobo

mobo

Then lets try this :

First insert a blank floppy in the drive then open my computer and right clcik on a drive. Select format and go through with it.

The open folder options in control panel, then click on view tab. Check the box for “show hidden files and folders” as well as uncheck the box for “Hide protected operating system files”

Next click on start, search and search for ntdetect.com, ntldr, as well as boot.ini.Do each separately and upon finding each open it then right click , select copy and paste each onto the floppy drive.

When complete insert into the pc and reboot with it. As well, make certain it is set to boot from A drive first.

14. Traifin

Traifin Thread Starter

Booted with the suggested disk and it did try to boot into windows xp. Recieved this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference materials for additional information.

15. mobo

mobo

Reboot with the 98 bootdisk and at the a prompt type scandisk /f

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice