mcafee 2006 with 64 bit processor problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

t4lor

Hi there,
I have a problem with MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2006
I iam trying to install it on my pc which is a 64 BIT PROCESSOR and XP HOME
everytime i install it and then restart the pc when it does restart it keeps restarting and restarting over and over, so then i have to reformat and then reinstall WINDOWS XP HOME and then MCAFEE i have now done this 9 times in the last 2 days i have come to the end of installing,
Iam now using my pc with no MCAFEE,
PLEASE can you help me, thanks in adance t4lor.

t4lor said:
Hi there,
I have a problem with MCAFEE INTERNET SECURITY SUITE 2006
I iam trying to install it on my pc which is a 64 BIT PROCESSOR and XP HOME
everytime i install it and then restart the pc when it does restart it keeps restarting and restarting over and over, so then i have to reformat and then reinstall WINDOWS XP HOME and then MCAFEE i have now done this 9 times in the last 2 days i have come to the end of installing,
Iam now using my pc with no MCAFEE,
PLEASE can you help me, thanks in adance t4lor.
Hi t4lor,

There is a question as to whether McAfee's support for 64-bit is for the corporate version only or applies to your version as well.

Here's a list of 64-bit AVs know to exist currently (from Wilders Security Forum where the question of 64-bit AV support has been raised, i.e. there are not many):

Avast!
NOD32
AVK
Symantec Corporate AV
Bitdefender
McAfee Corporate AV
Next version of KAV/KIS (Open beta works except HTTP monitor)

where KAV/KIS is for Kaspersky AV and Internet Security, and AVK bundles both Kaspersky and Bitdefender for a double layer of protection.

Try not to run on the Internet without at least a good industrial strength AV, and you might want to investigate the issure of firewalls with 64-bit OS as that might be another area that not very many products yet support.

-- Tom

Hi t4lor,

Here's a thread at Wilder's Security Forum that you can read for more information:
Re: x64 OS Compatibility. Whats Recommended? Post #15 by Atomic_Ed
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=91058&highlight=64-bit+AV

Note: software firewalls with outbound protection for 64-bit machines appear to be on the horizon or may already be there as that message was last August. Also, note, its a good idea to have a hardware firewall used in conjunction with your other security apps on your 64-bit machine since it affords an extra layer of protection while the 64-bit security app support is being sorted out by the vendors - they only appear to act to a need when the needs of the many reach a critical mass that they can no longer ignore!

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online