1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McAfee for ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by sharc444, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharc444

sharc444 Thread Starter

I know it is not necessary but I had paid for McAfee before loading ubuntu and doing away with win xp, and would like to know what file I can use to open mcafee in ubuntu. I'm paid through aug of 2008 so what the heck. I have download it but can't open it. thanks, shar

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi sharc444,

From what you describe, you paid for McAfee while on WinXP, then loaded Ubuntu.

McAfee is a Windows only program, so in order to be able to execute it under Ubuntu you would need to install Wine on Ubuntu to execute a Windows executable. See Ubuntu (7,04) Fiesty Fawn Starter Guide for information on installing Wine on Ubuntu and running Windows executables.

-- Tom

3. aldenhg

aldenhg

Don't bother. There's absolutely no point in wasting your time and your system's resources on a program that's made to defend against viruses that can't hurt you. Besides, I doubt that it would even run in wine. Remember - one of the best things about Linux is that you can get away without having a virus scanner slowing you down. Ubuntu has about as much use for McAfee as a snake has use for shoes.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

At a minimum, you should have an iptables firewall or a hardware router with a firewall between your computer and the Internet - regardless if it is Linux or not.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is either a fool or knows nothing about malware, Linux and the Internet.

Look into Firestarter, download and install and set it up. Check out the details in the Ubuntu Starter Guide in my previous message.

-- Tom

5. RobLinux

RobLinux

He could install XP into VMware to run XP software occasionally, and then give himself a Virus problem, so that he can then use McAfee on something in the virtual machine.

In the 90's I had a user with a DOS emulator, used to read & create floppy disks for customers from a DEC Ultrix workstation. The emulation was so good, it caught a virus from one of the translator's disks, and I had to reinstall the initial emulation state from backup tapes.

Oviously I talked to the PC dude, to make sure he installed a Virus scanner into the emulator, before I opened it's use up to the virus ridden 'customers'.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice