1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McAfee or Norton?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Susie N, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Susie N

Susie N Thread Starter

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase an anti-virus scanner and firewall for my computer. What do you all recommend? I've looked at customer reviews for each on Amazon.com but I just find that everyone has an opinion. Can anyone here direct me to the best for our needs?

We have a family PC on a cable modem. We use Windows 98. I just need general protection and I'd rather go buy a disk than download anything because downloads don't work well for me.

Ideas? TIA!

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Unless you specifically want either of the two products you might check out these free products :

http://www.free-firewall.org/

Either Kerio, Sygate, or Zone Alarm are perfectly acceptable for a typical homeuser

And here :

http://www.grisoft.com

Not sure why you are reluctant to download, or indeed what problems you encounter. However you might at least find it worth your while to give the about products your consideration.

As an aside if you have the chance - check out the various PC Magazines on sale, as they often have such utilities on their free CD / DVD ... that way you have original to hand.

As I'm in London I don't know which mags are on sale where you are.

Hope you get whats right for you.

:)

3. Susie N

Susie N Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply. I am reluctant to download anything because for some reason, I always come up with big time errors. I had Zone Alarm (the free version) on here, but every time I closed it down, it gave me an error message. Also, last week our cable guy came out to fix my computer and apparently, I had been corrupted. I wonder why Zone Alarm didn't protect us? Admittedly, I know next to nothing about this stuff........

4. gsmitheman

gsmitheman

Mcaffee and Norton in the latest versions are getting to be bigger resource hogs. Using them is not easier than downloading the free AVG (which tested equal and has every feature in the NAV product).

Many people have problems installing these products, keeping them running, or getting them off their machines. Find a geek friend who can get your machine back in shape and try free AVG and the free Zonealarm.

I do run NAV Pro on 6 machines ( I have 8 licenses to use up). When several of the problems discussed above have occurred I have been able to find solutions on the Symantec Knowledge base and solve them. But doing that is not something lots of people feel comfortable doing.

Once your machine is working normally. It would be worthwhile to learn what maintenance should be done, how to effectively use your anti virus, firewall and spyware programs like Adaware and Spybot (both also free).

Now you are ready to download and install just about everything you need for free. When your ready just ask where can I get free programs and you will be inundated with replies.

5. RHurlburt

RHurlburt

Total agreement with gsmitheman and RSM123.
    Have used both, Norton and McAfee. Believe me when I say Norton will just eat your lunch. My computer(s) were just a snails pace from being slow. Got rid of them and couldn't believe the performance improvement.

I have AVG, Spybot and AdAwarePlus. Guarantee that they will do you the best service with little overhead.

Another nice tool to have is Advanced Registry Doctor for those corrupted registry entries caused by adding and removing programs and links.

6. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

For what its worth, here is another vote for ZoneAlarm - which after trying the free version, which I liked much, I paid then for the Pro version to get more goods... since price was comparable to the resource hogs [NAV & McAfee], which I originally had NAV and also had a sloooow computer to deal with. Now, all is sunny, skies are blue, birds are singing, and the DSL connection hummmmmms... Ok, I exagerate... ;)

The other program I also downloaded is avast!, which is free, and so far [knock on wood] has worked quite good too.

An idea: when I download programs, no matter what they are or where they come from, I place them into a folder named "Download" that I created just for this purpose that then resides upon the desktop for ease of access... and then everything is in one convenient location.

When you are doing your downloads, are you also using the computer for other purposes, running other programs, etc.? I don't know if that would cause any concern/problems, but for me, when I'm downloading, I make sure that all else, besides that particular task, are not running.

7. Susie N

Susie N Thread Starter

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me input. :) I really appreciate it! My husband and I were looking at Amazon reviews again last night and we noticed good stuff said about PC-cillin. I was curious if you guys know anything about it?

I am considering the free things you've mentioned....I'm actually considering all my options before deciding. Thanks again! :)

8. cheese

cheese

You may also want to consider NOD32. It is not a resource hogger, and has never missed a virus in the wild according to VB100. They have a free trial on their site as well www.nod32.com

9. RHurlburt

RHurlburt

Like Hobbes, I also have a special folder for these special things ... but I calll mine "PC Tools". I download into a special folder "Download" just as Hobbes does, and if I like it and will keep it, I move the "zip" (or whatever it was that I downloaded) and the document with the serial key or whatever it takes to "register" that application, to the directory, "C\PCTools". and a folder under "PC\Tools" with the same name of the application (Example: "C\Special Tools\AVG"). I have created a desktop folder named "PC Tools" and add the "exe" shortcut to that desktop folder. It may seem like a bit of trouble, but if something goes amiss, I know where to go to fix the problem, and I KNOW which programs I am actually using.

Good morning, Hobbes

10. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

After fighting with Norton and McAfee, I switched over to AVG and Omni Personal Firewall (free), and have had excellent results...

11. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Hey Cheese - do you yourself have this NOD32, and if so, is it the trial or the purchased version [$39]? Are you aware of any catch w/ the trial version of AVG?

Good evening RHurlburt - in using Spybot, are there any concerns w/ their program embedding itself quite deeply w/in your computer? I thought I had read some articles pertaining to that...

All - is anyone aware, to help both folks such as Susie and others, of any websites/articles/reviews, besides tucows.com, where all of these various AV and firewall programs [esp. the free ones! ;) ] have been put through various tests and then properly rated? Altho' I'm so far quite happy w/ the avast! and ZAPro, if there is ever a more better means to protect, I'm game for learning. :cool:

In reference to tucows.com, they give ratings [ok, more cows the better...] and level of popularity, but they really don't seem to give pros and cons, and comparison of advantages/disadvantages to each of these various programs... for example, tucows.com rates Armor2net and Jetico very high, giving each 5 cows [highest rank] and even w/ high popularity, but where's the beef, ummm,,, I mean proof? :p

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224051

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice