1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McAfee regisery problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GOALIEFN, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOALIEFN

GOALIEFN Thread Starter

I attempted to install the 2006 version of the McAfee System Suite only to find that my computer will not let me.

I get an error during install that McAfee is currently running in my computer, a Dell Dimension 8400.

I checked my "C" drive and went into Program Files to verify whether any traces of previous versions of McAfee existed. Program Files was clean as was the rest of my "C" drive.

Next, went to "run" on the start menu and typed msconfig. Under startup, I noticed that indeed there were traces of McAfee that were automatically starting up.

Using both Startup Cop control panel and Autoruns--both of which came via the Net--I attempted to edit the registry by deleting the links to McAfee. Each time I thought I had them saftely deleted, BAM they replicate themselves on the ensuing startup.

I'm stuck. I know they are there, but I am at a loss of how to delete them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

GREG,
    GOALIEFN

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484418

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice