1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McAfee viruscan ver 6 causing hangup at startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by edugan, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edugan

edugan Thread Starter

i upgraded to viruscan ver 6. i followed the instructions to a "T". I uninstalled the old version, I cleaned out the temp folder. After installing the program i didn't update the file just like it instructs you to do. i closed all programs except systray and explorer then control+alt+del and canceled ( like it says) then it restarted and i opened the program and then updated the files ( like it says ) and then rebooted. while it was rebooting it got stuck. now when i turn on the computer it sticks on the win 98 screen. if i hit escape i see a dos window and half of the screen looks normal and then it says it is doing a clan scan and runs through clean scan 1-7 each on a seperate dos line comand. then the twirling stick character stops twirling. Help me get back into windows and if i do get in what is causing this problem and what can i do to fix it.

2. columbo

columbo

3. edugan

edugan Thread Starter

what do i need to do to get back into windows so i can get on the net to download that fix..

4. columbo

columbo

Hey,

I'm sorry, I didn't think of that.:rolleyes:

OK. Boot into Windows through safe-mode, and open up McAfee VS. Then look for a setting similar to "enable virus shield on startup" or something similar. Then change this setting so that McAfee won't startup on it's own. You'll probably also have to remove any setting that says "scan for viruses on startup" or something like that.
    I'm sorry but I've been using Norton for the last few months, so I can't really recall the specific whereabouts of these settings and how to change them.

Also, go to Start, then Run, then type in sysedit. The first open window should contain the contents of your autoexec.bat file. Type REM in front of any lines that look like they relate to McAfee. These can always be removed later on. Remember to save your changes, then restart. Hopefully McAfee will not scan or run, and you'll be able to access Windows normally, to get on the internet.

Good Luck :cool:

5. edugan

edugan Thread Starter

i got into safe mode and tried to disable the program at start-up but that didnt work. i then went back in and i was about to remove the program altogether when i say the removal screen has a repair button to hit. i did that and it took to startups to fully get in but then i disabled everything related to mcafee and restarted and no problems. i downloaded the patch and reboted and turned everyhing back on the mcafee program and started it up again. no problems !! thanks

6. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Glad to hear it's fixed! :D

(I didn't know that McAfee had a repair option)

Oh well.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice