1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mcafee vshield

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gene2k, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

How do I get my mcafee vshield to load up by itself. I always have to manually do it. There is a dialog box that comes up and prompts me to do and another box that I can put a check in so it doesn't have to remind me again. But I don't know if I do that what will happen.

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

Don't have Mcafee but usually there's something under options to set it to start on boot up.

3. stod73

stod73

What version of Mcafee are you using?

4. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

The newest version I forget what it is exactly but I just went to the store and bought it about a month ago.

5. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

I'm using mcafee vshield 7.0

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Check the MSCONFIG startup tab list and make sure that it's checked.

I haven't used McAfee VirusScan(n) in a long time, but I recall that it places multiple entries there.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. Trboy13

Trboy13

are you sure its NOT running, do the good ol ctrl+alt+del and look for mcshield.exe, frameworkservices.exe
    if they are there, its running.

if not, you can do a few things, like MSCONFIG like flavallee said and go to the start tab and enable the two things, i dont know exactly what they are, but one of them i believe is the program that shows mcafee in the system tray. Also look in the services tab for stuff made by network associates, and make sure its checked to start up.

if that doesn't work, you can try backing up your registry and then adding these keys

(just put this into a text document, save it, and rename it mcafee.reg, then double click it and add it to the registry)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McAfeeFramework]
    "Start"=dword:2

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McShield]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\McTaskManager]

i'm not even sure if that would even fix anything, i think it would be the same as changing it in the services tab, but hey, i already had the keys for this thing i'm working on. anyways do at your own risk ;p

(please note, this is probaly not even close to the best way to go about this, and i'm sure someone can complain about it, but hey, i like to pretend i know something)

8. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Here's another thing to check. Go to control panal, there should be an icon labled "Virus Scan" double click to open it and then check to make sure "Load At Startup" is checked.

9. gene2k

gene2k Thread Starter

Figured it out, thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice