1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McAfee won't install

Discussion in 'General Security' started by rcoups, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcoups

rcoups Thread Starter

Feb 10, 2002
    A co-worker bought a Gateway (AMD dual core,Vista). All was well until his McAfee version expired. Now he can't install a downloaded version or the store bought version. Neither will proceed past a blank window after invoking the set up routine. I ran Ad Aware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor and Trojan Remover. Nothing nasty was revealed. After many hours, I left him with a free version of AVG and best wishes.

He, of course, really wants McAfee to work since he has paid for it twice now.

Windows Defender was present while his pre-installed McAfee was working, but could it be preventing a new installation ? If not, any other ideas? Thanks in advance.
  2. golferbob

May 18, 2004
  3. stantley

May 22, 2005
    Uninstall Windows Defender and AdAware, then try reinstalling McAfee. If you still have a problem, uninstall Spyware Doctor. Once McAfee is installed you can try reinstalling AdAware and Spyware Doctor. I wouldn't bother reinstalling Defender.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686611