1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mcccaffe virus scan is screwing wih my computer.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Whiteskin, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Every time i install a program, the installer freezes for about 10-15 minutes, or until the nt on acess scanner crashes. Then everything goes fine.

I have been updating virus scan religiously so it cant be that. Is it jsut a probel m with virus scan?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Turn off virus scanning programs before installing any program.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Whiteskin:

ALWAYS turn off your antivirus program and any other unnecessary programs running in the background BEFORE you do any of the following:

Install software

Uninstall software

Run Scandisk

Run Disk Defragmenter

Personally, I found McAfee VirusScan very problematic and prone to producing blue screen error messages. :( (n)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. mobo

mobo

mcccaffe virus scan is screwing wih my computer.

Guess what...It does for a lot of users. Its not a program that plays well with other software so if you can, try obtaining another program.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If anyone decides they want to get rid of McAfee VirusScan, I have an article posted on my website that explains all the steps needed to completely clean it out.

6. mobo

mobo

Great Frank, there is another poster in the 98 forum that needs help with McCrappie as well..

7. ~Candy~

Hey now, I use McCrappie :D and I'm happy :D

8. mobo

mobo

No offense Intended AC..

9. ~Candy~

I know mb ;) Couldn't resist making a comment though, I do have Norton on a couple of machines too ;) Whatever is free after rebate works for me ;) I just make sure I keep McAfee on the McAfee machine and Norton on the Norton machine.....it IS A BIG PAIN to uninstall McAfee, have never tried uninstalling Norton though ;)

10. Whiteskin

Whiteskin Thread Starter

Well, i have learned to disable i just after big dl's finish, and before installing programs. :)

11. ~Candy~

Ah, you are supposed to disable it then anyways ;)

12. TheRef310

TheRef310

What do those that are considered "Senior" techs use instead of McCaffe? I personally have Norton...

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I use ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.1.7.0, which is made by Computer Associates. I have been using it for about 2 years, it works well, and it uses very little system resources. The first-time cost is $24.95. An annual subscription renewal is $9.95.

14. Denim

Denim

I have installed now and Had it installed last year, is Norton's System works, I just love it. I have never had to disable it for nothing , and when I did the Uninstall (of the old one ) I didnt have no probs at all. It unstall with no problems, And the Install of the New one , the 2003 Version went in like a dream. And it works flawlessly with windows XP, and Integrate the System tools, like file back up, and System monintering, and PC Doc, and Disc Doc, and system check up , and runs checks for Reg. inconsistincies, and has system monitering . Like it tells you when it is time to defragg , or run disk clean up , or do a Scan disk. I just love it myself. I know that it is pricey at 60.00 bucks a disk , (at Walmart's) But to me it is well worth it for all that it does. Btw, If you buy it now ,You can get 1/2 of your money back in a rebate. And it doesnt Seem to be a system resource or CPU , or memeory hog either. But if your going to go with any of them that is the one that I would go with for my money. I wont Run XP with out my Norton's System works :)
    Denim.
    Btw AC, I got a McCrappies disk here if you want it. lol I dont know where it came from . But I wounded up with it. But you can have it if you want it lol.

15. ~Candy~

Lol, thanks for the offer, but I think I have all versions except for 8 (the newest) one and I see it's free after rebate and upgrade somewhere this week :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!