1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

McDonald's drive-through automated recordings

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by TechGuy, Nov 14, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Recently, our local McDonald's have changed their drive-through system so that when you pull up to the speaker, a recording plays saying something like "Thank you for choosing McDonald's. Would you like to try a smoothie or frappe today?"

Of course, you have no way of knowing that it's a recording... and sometimes there will be a delay for a few seconds, during which I'll answer.

"Yes, I'd like to have a medium caramel frappe."

A few seconds later, another voice comes on and says, "Thanks for waiting. Can I take your order, please?"

"Umm... yes. I'd still like to have a medium caramel frappe."

Has anyone else experienced this? It's a little annoying. It's frustrating enough to call big companies and talk to a machine. I sure don't need one at the drive-through!

At the very lease they should change the recording to say, "Thank you for choosing McDonald's. Consider trying one of our new smoothies or frappes. Someone will be with you in just a moment."

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Drives me nuts. The "recorded" voice is always easy to understand and "pleasant".

Then the actual person comes on; most of the time, I can't even understand.

3. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Ha!! That is so true! (y)

I was wondering if this recording was just a regional thing or if it was nationwide... or whether or not it was only our local McDonald's who used the technology so poorly.

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    No... I think it's everywhere.

It's just doesn't make any sense. If you want to push suggestive selling, have the person on the speaker do it. But those recordings are a bad idea. McDonalds focuses on being fast; doing things like that seems to give the impression that they are wasting my time, a bit.

5. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    I don't know if that's worse than someone who's nasal on the other side.....At times I hear, "Welcome to Mcdommmm, canIhalfacow............:eek:

6. buffoon

buffoon

Drive thrus are not the rage as yet over here (although they're coming). Normally you use the parking lot and then walk in. Wonder how long it'll take before they play a recording to you at the sales counter:D

Only reason I ever use them (and that doesn't mean going in there at all) is their free WIFI (well, free for half an hour). Can get that if I park near enough.:)

7. ACA529

ACA529

In Canada here they have this new setup for drive-throughs. Now they have split the drive through into two lanes for ordering, then it goes back into one for the actually payment and pickup windows. They are endlessly getting orders screwed up and have to ask you what you ordered. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice