1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ME crashed

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ME problems, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ME problems

ME problems Thread Starter

hi, i really need help with my computer. Its an HP Pavilion 534(i think its 534). Its about 4 years old, but still in good condition. I still have an extended warranty on it, but my warranty doesnt cover software, only hardware. My Millineum Ed crashed and i am having trouble finding the recovery disk for it, i looked on ebay and called Microsoft and 3rd party dealers. Is there any hope for my computer or is it trashed. and i dont want to spend $500 on a XP.

2. funkdmonkey

funkdmonkey

What exactly do u mean by crash? Wont boot or wont start or what? You can probably fix the problem if you provide more info. Also ill try getting an admin to move this to the Windows 95/98/ME thread were it belongs ;)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Look on the front of the case and confirm what the model number is. It's usually on the bottom center. If i's not there, look for it on the label on the rear of the case. 534a and k534.de are the only model numbers that I can come up with at the HP site. If your computer came as a package(case, monitor, printer,etc.), it may have a model number, such as 534w-b.

I doubt very seriously that you'll get HP to mail you a recovery/restore CD after 4 years, and they probably don't have them in stock any longer.

If you explain exactly what you mean by your computer "crashed", we may be able to help you.

4. ME problems

by crashed, i mean it wont get past the ME page when the computer starts. It just stays there for ever. the computer too is a labtop. its the pavilion n5340 notebook. all help is greatly appreciated. How can i fix this problem?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Will it start in safe mode?

And it's 'laptop' not 'labtop' ;)

6. ME problems

no, will not start in safe mode.

7. ~Candy~

Download a ME boot disk, boot to a command prompt only, then type

scanreg /restore
    and press enter.

Is there a date prior to the problems?

8. ME problems

about 2 weeks problems started, i downloaded from bootdisk.com. now do i just save to floppy?

9. ~Candy~

No, you need to double click on the file and create the floppy disk. You'll see instructions to follow. When you are done, there will be more than one file on the floppy disk.

10. ME problems

im sorry, im a moron, forgive me. i dont understand, i have to do this on a different computer. how do i get it from the good one to my crashed one.

11. ~Candy~

You said you have it downloaded. Just double click on it and you should see some instructions to create the boot disk. This can be done on any computer. Then take the floppy disk to the problem computer.

Quite frankly, I prefer pctech.com rather than bootdisk.com --- it's more user friendly.

12. ME problems

ok, i get it now, pctech is under development. ill post something tomarrow to see whats goin on, ill try what i think might work

13. ~Candy~

14. ME problems

Couldnt Get It To Work With A Floppy, So I Burned It To A Data Cd, Will That Work The Same? And It Didnt Work. It Said All This %1 And %2 Stuff, And Said It Didnt Read Upgrades. I Will Try 3.5 Floppy, I Will Go Buy A Brand New One. What Are My Options Now? And Am I Doing Something Wrong?

15. ~Candy~

When you say you couldn't get it to work with a floppy, you are going to have to be more precise.........exactly what happened. My crystal ball is in the repair shop, so you'll have to forgive my lack of Psychic Abilities today :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice