ME crashed

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ME problems

hi, i really need help with my computer. Its an HP Pavilion 534(i think its 534). Its about 4 years old, but still in good condition. I still have an extended warranty on it, but my warranty doesnt cover software, only hardware. My Millineum Ed crashed and i am having trouble finding the recovery disk for it, i looked on ebay and called Microsoft and 3rd party dealers. Is there any hope for my computer or is it trashed. and i dont want to spend $500 on a XP.

What exactly do u mean by crash? Wont boot or wont start or what? You can probably fix the problem if you provide more info. Also ill try getting an admin to move this to the Windows 95/98/ME thread were it belongs ;)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Look on the front of the case and confirm what the model number is. It's usually on the bottom center. If i's not there, look for it on the label on the rear of the case. 534a and k534.de are the only model numbers that I can come up with at the HP site. If your computer came as a package(case, monitor, printer,etc.), it may have a model number, such as 534w-b.

I doubt very seriously that you'll get HP to mail you a recovery/restore CD after 4 years, and they probably don't have them in stock any longer.

If you explain exactly what you mean by your computer "crashed", we may be able to help you.

ME problems

by crashed, i mean it wont get past the ME page when the computer starts. It just stays there for ever. the computer too is a labtop. its the pavilion n5340 notebook. all help is greatly appreciated. How can i fix this problem?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Will it start in safe mode?

And it's 'laptop' not 'labtop' ;)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Download a ME boot disk, boot to a command prompt only, then type

scanreg /restore
and press enter.

Is there a date prior to the problems?

ME problems

about 2 weeks problems started, i downloaded from bootdisk.com. now do i just save to floppy?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
No, you need to double click on the file and create the floppy disk. You'll see instructions to follow. When you are done, there will be more than one file on the floppy disk.

ME problems

im sorry, im a moron, forgive me. i dont understand, i have to do this on a different computer. how do i get it from the good one to my crashed one.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You said you have it downloaded. Just double click on it and you should see some instructions to create the boot disk. This can be done on any computer. Then take the floppy disk to the problem computer.

Quite frankly, I prefer pctech.com rather than bootdisk.com --- it's more user friendly.

ME problems

ok, i get it now, pctech is under development. ill post something tomarrow to see whats goin on, ill try what i think might work

ME problems

Couldnt Get It To Work With A Floppy, So I Burned It To A Data Cd, Will That Work The Same? And It Didnt Work. It Said All This %1 And %2 Stuff, And Said It Didnt Read Upgrades. I Will Try 3.5 Floppy, I Will Go Buy A Brand New One. What Are My Options Now? And Am I Doing Something Wrong?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
When you say you couldn't get it to work with a floppy, you are going to have to be more precise.........exactly what happened. My crystal ball is in the repair shop, so you'll have to forgive my lack of Psychic Abilities today :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online