1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Me dieing all the time

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tidy, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tidy

tidy Thread Starter

Please can someone help, in the past 2 weeks my system has crashed 3 times which has involved 2 windows re-loads. The first time I couldn't access any startup function as a message said registry file missing, registry services not available scanreg or scandisk just wouldnt run. Re-loaded windows. The second time I was able to get back in via second chance that came with the computer. It shut down really slowly that time and then took an age to start back up . After getting back in Dr.watson kept saying that things were altering my system files.
    Now today it has gone belly up again and I couldnt do anything with it. I was getting disc read errors in scandisk, registry file missing (again) blue screen - disc write errors unable to write to drive c data or files may be lost. I've now reloaded windows again. I had trend antivirus up to date and the computer was scanned regularly, I now have norton on it. Neither of them found any viruses. I did a norton disc doctor check on the hard disc and it found 4 bad sectors. Will this be anything to do with it? At the moment I am just checking dr watson all the time and have norton system doctor running in the backround to see if anything happens. Havent loaded my other programs yet, is there a process i can now go through while it seems ok to try and find if one of them is causing a conflict.
    Sorry this is long but aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh
    Thanks anyone who can help

2. Dan O

Dan O

I would backup your data and run ScanDisk using the Thorough option that will mark all bad sectors not to be used. Then run FDISK and reformat the drive, then you would be starting fresh.

3. tidy

tidy Thread Starter

Thanks for that. How do I run f disk. I have oem restore pack with computer (floppy and cd) I just insert the discs, push a button and it does the rest. What causes bad sectors on the disc. It,s crashed again and now norton disc doctor (still going after 18 hours) has found more bad sectores. Does formatting disc get rid of bad sectors. The computer is less than a year old

4. brooke

brooke

fdisk is a MSDOS program. You can find it in the C:\Windows\System directory. I always run Fdisk from a boot disk. Type in fdisk at the command prompt, delete your logical drive and re-add it. Then format your drive.

5. tidy

tidy Thread Starter

after 20 hours disc doctor has finally finished. I had a look at fdisk and it said it was unable to read my c drive. That sounds bad to me. Can't start with any rescue discs at all doesn't read c drive.
    It's dead isnt it?

6. thejay

thejay

sounds like it

7. brooke

brooke

Yep...sounds like you need a new hard drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59627

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice