1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ME losing time and slowing down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Magman, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magman

Magman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    I am running 2000ME with 80 gig hard drive and 256MEG Ram.

Some time back I got a lot of help on my ME slow down problem, but, nothing worked. I thought that the problem was related to the internet but I lose time even when off the net. If I leave my computer running for an hour or so it loses time and slows down.

I have used tools to remove virus' and also have removed spybot intruders. Any suggestions?

2. hl5

hl5

Marty, this is a very serious conundrum. Have you tested your flux capacitor recently? Does it have plenty of plutonium?

I'm not sure what you mean by "losing time," but I'd suggest you go out and buy a Huey Lewis CD immediately. (If you can't find Huey Lewis, Eddie Money might also do the trick.)

Actually, if your computer has slowed down it might have something that isn't detected by your spyware detection software. Make sure you have the latest version of that software (use multiple scanners if you can -- i.e. Ad-aware and Spybot, both free).

After that, run a program called HijackThis and use it to print a log file of what's going on with your computer/browser. Don't have it fix anything until you consult someone. You can download it at:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt

Paste the log file to a message somewhere, either here or over at the above link, or elsewhere. That may not solve it, but there's a good chance.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Do you mean the computer clock is losing time ? if so you need to change the battery on the motherboard ......

4. Magman

Magman Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Hi Telcom 69.You tried to help me with this same probem a few weeks back and we were unsuccessful.

I don't know that I buy the weak battery idea...the clock does slow down but the whole system slows down as well. The sounds drags on like an old record player on the wrong speed.

I will change the battery, but I think I have a software issue with something running in the background that I can't see.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Magman...

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I've seen similar, and the problem turned out to be a faulty CD Burner, try unplugging your CD-ROM, or Burner and running it for a while, and see if you get the same slow down...

If you don't, I would suspect a faulty CD drive...

6. M.I.C.R.O.N

M.I.C.R.O.N

It sounds like it could be a CMOS battery issue, this is one of the main causes for the system to loose time. I don’t know what others have suggested but you might want to try a new battery, Its simple to remove and they are very cheap. Then you open the PC, it looks like the pic below.

Just remove and take to a store that sells batteries / Cell’s and they will give you the correct replacement and voltage, Just replace it and reboot. You may have to set the time, but you will only have to do this once.

Hope this helps. Any further problems, let me know

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice